Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

Guest -> Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 2:07:00 PM)

Hello everybody,
please excuse me, im new. I just installed Exchange Server 2003 (and all its components) but after reboot i can't find any shortcut to get started. I finally found the administrator console but after getting asked which domain the server is in i must pass (it is on the same machine, though).

you can i successfully add exchange server 2003 to my windows 2003 server after installation? which steps are next?

thank you very much in advance
*desperate*

Henrik Walther -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 2:23:00 PM)

Almost all administration is done from either Active Directory Users and Computers and/or the Exchange System Manager.

It sounds like you have install and are executing the Exchange 5.5 Administrator, if your not in a migration process you normally don't use the Exchange 5.5 one.

Guest -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 2:35:00 PM)

Hello Henrik,
thank you very much for your reply.

I have installed and startet a services called "Micrsofot Exchange Administrator" which was deliviered with the Exchange installation.

After starting this program he asks to which server i want to connect to. I do not understand this question (localhost of course?) and whatever string I enter in the textbox (e.g. TEST.HOME - test is the server name, home the domain name)) i get a message that a connection couldnt be etablished, the exchange server wouldn't reply.

---------------------------
Microsoft Exchange Administrator
Microsoft Exchange-Directory
ID-Nr: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM
OK

I would be very glad if you had ANY idea how to solve this problem.

balone
*desperate, but getting help*

Guest -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 2:38:00 PM)

Hello again,

i'm very sorry that i didnt my previous entry, but unfortunatelly i'm not yet registered and therefore can't edit entries. I promise to register soon.

henrik was right in saying that i used the Exchange 5.5 Administrator interface with microsoft exchange server 2003 - there is no migration - but i cant find any other shortcut where i could start the exchange server oder add/remove/manage users?

I do have a new entry in the Active Directory Setting, but only "remove all exchange tasks from this user" and not "add new email account" e.g. or anything else.

Do you have a idea?
balone

Henrik Walther -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 3:32:00 PM)

When you open Active Directory User and Computers, you should enable Advanced Features from the View column in the menu. Then you will have a lot more Exchange feature available, both when right-clicking a user in AD and selecting Exchange Task... and when taking Properties of a user.

Then you have the Exchange System Manager which can be found under Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange, you mostly use this MMC snap-in for general Exchange server management.

I would recommend you buy a book on Exchange 2003 - Mastering Exchange 2003 Server by Berry Gerber is a good read.

Guest -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 4:15:00 PM)

That is exactly the problem. I did everything as you said, but there are no exchange tasks for any user! I can select Exchange Tasks in the conext menu, but the wizward does only show me one list entry: "remove all tasks from this user" - i know from screenshots e.g. that there normally must be several entries..

What did I do wrong?

Henrik Walther -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (5.Jan.2004 7:40:00 PM)

And you did enable Advanced Features under View in the menu ?

Guest -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (6.Jan.2004 12:59:00 PM)

Of course, i did! There must be somthing wrong with the installation. But reinstalling won't help [Frown]

pjhutch -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (6.Jan.2004 1:05:00 PM)

As well as adminpak installed you must have the Exchange tools installed on your PC as well to be able to administer them.

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177&Product=exch2k

and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815529&Product=exch2k

Guest -> RE: Can't find Exchange Server after Installation (6.Jan.2004 5:36:00 PM)

pjhutch, that worked!

Thank you very much for this piece of information.

Page: [1]