• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 11.Feb.2004 7:44:00 AM   
jsuboh

Hi,

I have a mixed windows 2000 Servers and Windows Server 2003 network. I am currently using an Exchange 2000 and the IM feature of Exchange 2K. I am adding a new Windows 2003 Server for a new Exchange 2003 Server. I still need to keep my Exchange 2000 for the IM Features. My questions is:
1. Do I run Forest Prep and Domain Prep on the first domain controller (W2k with Exch 2k). Is that the setup.exe on the Exchange 2K3 install CD.

2. Will doing this affect the operation of my current Exch 2k Server (I still need it operational while testing the new Exch 2k3 Server)

3. After migrating my mailboxes to the new Exchange 2k3 server - what would be the best way to keep Instant messeger running but not the email services, i.e. unmount the Store?

I am having a hard time finding information for this kind of Scenario.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

jsuboh
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 11.Feb.2004 9:33:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

Hi jsuboh,

1. You run the Exchange 2003 Setup.exe /ForestPrep and /DomainPrep (from E2K3 CD) on any server you like to, if you follow the ExDeploy utility you will be informed when to run them.

2. No will not affect your current environment, only extend your schema etc. further, but just in case you should run a full online backup, before running the prep tools.

3. Yes you can just stop and disable the services which you no longer need running on the E2K server.

Hope this gets you going, if not then just ask again.....

[ February 11, 2004, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Henrik Walther ]

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 11.Feb.2004 5:54:00 PM   
jsuboh

Hi,

Thank you for your response - I will be trying that today.

jsuboh

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 11.Feb.2004 11:26:00 PM   
jsuboh

Hi,

I am Back again. I have run both forrest prep and Domain Prep - everything went fine. But I am running into a problem - when I run setup to install from the Exch Dep tool, I agree to the EULA and hit next. When I select typical install I get an error:

All Active Directory Connectors in the windows forrest must be upgraded to the most current version before you can upgrade Microsoft Exchange. The following ADC Servers have not been upgrades.: DISTRICT

District is my Primary DC with Exchange 2k on it. I am trying to run the Exchange 2k3 setup on a seperate Win 2k3 server called MAIL.

Any suggestions???

thanks,

jsuboh

[ February 11, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: jsuboh ]

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 12.Feb.2004 10:51:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

Well you shouldn't really need ADC in order to install Exchange 2003 into your current Exchange 2000 org, what did you choose when running the setup ? You should select to install into current org.

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 12.Feb.2004 5:43:00 PM   
jsuboh

Hi,

It looks like I have Exchange ADC installed on my Exchange 2k server - Should I unistall it - I dont have any Exchange 5.5 servers or any Windows NT servers. If so - can I use the utility on the Exchange 2k3 CD

Thanks

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help - 12.Feb.2004 6:05:00 PM   
jsuboh

Hi

I uninstalled it and it work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank You,

jsuboh

(in reply to jsuboh)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2k and 2k3 - Need your Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter