• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

2 domains

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> 2 domains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 domains - 28.Jun.2004 6:25:00 PM   
zipakna

i need some advice. i have just setup an exchange server. i have two networks one for city hall and one for the police and fire department. i have the exchange server on the city hall side and i would liketo have the other network use exchange too. what would you guys try to do? setup another exchange server on the second network and try to connect it to the first. or try to merge the two domains and have a parent child scenario and try to use the one exchange server? security is of course and issue because of the police network
Post #: 1
RE: 2 domains - 28.Jun.2004 7:02:00 PM   
eriq35

I would say due to the security concerns and the fact that Police use VS. your everyday City Hall user (i.e. surfing the net, opening forwards etc.) will be at higher risk if they were joined. I would keep them seperate and give the Police side a seperate Ex. server. just my .02

(in reply to zipakna)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 domains - 28.Jun.2004 7:36:00 PM   
zipakna

thanks, thats exactly what i was thinking. but,,, its been a while since i created exchange servers. would i setup the second server in the police department to simply connect to the first using MTA connectors so that i can continue to issue thisgovernment.gov addresses? and i cant remember but do i need to have a domain trust in order for those two exchange servers on different domains to connect. now... there are essentially two different forests. thanks everyone for any input and suggestions

(in reply to zipakna)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 domains - 28.Jun.2004 8:14:00 PM   
RonStewart

If the City Hall network and the Police/Fire network are also two separate AD forests, they will have to be separate Exchange organizations as well. They can still share the same email domain if you (carefully) configure relaying.

It sounds like you have a somewhat complex environment. You might want to bring in some outside help, if your budget can accomodate it. (And no, I'm not trying to be sales guy here, just offering some friendly advice). [Smile]

(in reply to zipakna)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 domains - 28.Jun.2004 10:16:00 PM   
zipakna

thanks, i just reciently enherited these networks. it was muchmore of a mess than what it is now, and they had NO firewall no antivirus. i've cleaned out more than 1300 instances of viruses. the only thing that was working halfway decient we the as/400. none of the switches were programmed, even the fiber optics they have here, the connectors were dry rotting out. this place was in really bad shape. right now i'm trying to bring in all of the services like e-mail and web site because they've had a local collage maintaining it and very poorly i might ad. so i'm just trying to get the e-mail done now. any advice with exchange 2003 on getting the email servers connected would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to zipakna)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> 2 domains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote