• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

please help, major issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> please help, major issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
please help, major issue - 7.Jul.2004 1:33:00 PM   
Alex T.

I have two systems, one for active directory and one for exchange 2003. Both are running 2003 server. When I went to install exchange 2003 after setting up AD and DNS on the other machine, the installation of exchange could not continue because it couldn't contact the AD box. The exchange server is already connected to the domain, but when I ran netdiag it failed the DC list part. I can't figure out whats going on, I can ping the AD box just fine and I have followed all steps to the best of my knowledge.
Post #: 1
RE: please help, major issue - 7.Jul.2004 2:17:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Could you post the exact error message(s)?

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 2
RE: please help, major issue - 7.Jul.2004 10:06:00 PM   
Alex T.

"Failed to contact that schema master server for this Active Directory forest". It also mentions that NNTP and SMTP are not installed, I don't think I need NNTP though.

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 3
RE: please help, major issue - 7.Jul.2004 10:56:00 PM   
ajhugo

To install Exchange you must have IIS and NNTP installed. Even though you probably wont use NNTP it must be there for the setup.

Can you ping your domain name?

Is your IP stack correct, no fat finger numbers that are one off?

Did you run the exchange setup with the forestprep and domainprep switches?

Check out this article

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284244

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 4
RE: please help, major issue - 8.Jul.2004 12:02:00 AM   
Alex T.

what switches? I am just running setup from the CD not the command prompt. I ran forest prep and domain prep on the AD box not the exchange box. I thought that is the right way to do it? Yes I can ping the domain.

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 5
RE: please help, major issue - 8.Jul.2004 9:30:00 AM   
Alex T.

Bump...

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 6
RE: please help, major issue - 8.Jul.2004 7:08:00 PM   
jimfrederickson

I was under the impression that Exchange Server v2003 needed to be installed on a Domain Controller.

From your message it would seem that you have ONLY 1 Domain Controller, and want to install Exchange Server v2003 on a Windows 2000 Server that is NOT a Domain Controller?

Even if this is NOT a requirement since Exchange Server v2003 uses active diretory for ALL of it's configuration storage why would you want to have increased network traffic by not installing it on a Domain Controller?

Moderate? You seem to know what going on, is my "impression" correct? If it is NOT correct then wouldn't it still be better to install Exchange Server v2003 on a Domain Controller?

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 7
RE: please help, major issue - 9.Jul.2004 6:37:00 AM   
Alex T.

I never said anything about Windows 2000. I have TWO servers, both have Windows 2003 SERVER, one will have exchange, the other will be the Active Directory/DNS server. Even though the exchange box is connected to the Domain, I got that error anyway when trying to install exchange on the server.

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 8
RE: please help, major issue - 9.Jul.2004 6:57:00 AM   
You will definitely need to add SMTP and NNTP before you can begin to install Exchange 2003 (same with Exchange 2000).

When you say you can ping the Domain Controller, what is the result of the successful ping? Do you get it's NetBIOS name being returned or do you see a FQDN?

This is important, because if you only see a NetBIOS name being returned, the server you want to install Exchange onto has not got it's DNS setting configured correctly in TCP/IP settings. And until you sort that out, you will not be able to install Exchnage.

for example, you should see the following when you ping:

Pinging Server1.testlab.com [10.10.10.100] ....
* Note the FQDN by DNS name resolution.
and not the following:

Pinging Server1 [10.10.10.100] ....
* Note NetBIOS name resolution.

So if you get the the second output (NetBIOS resolution), look at your DNS settings again, its to do with Registering your connections with DNS and Appending the DNS suffixes.

Hope this clears things up for you.

(in reply to Alex T.)
  Post #: 9
RE: please help, major issue - 9.Jul.2004 12:42:00 PM   
Alex T.

I have those services installed now, I get the following when I ping the domain:

Pinging dreamware.ca [70.68.15.143]

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 10
RE: please help, major issue - 11.Jul.2004 4:40:00 AM   
Alex T.

bump...

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 11
RE: please help, major issue - 12.Jul.2004 2:33:00 AM   
Have you done a forestprep and domainprep on the DC for your domain?

Since you're installing Exchange 2003 on a member server, than you will need to prepare your domain for the install of Exchange prior to installing Exchange.

from the CD run these commands on the DC:

x:\setup\i386\setup.exe /forestprep

followed by:

x:\setup\i386\setup.exe /domainprep

Note: "x:\setup\i386" needs to be replaced with where ever your Exchange install files are found.

(in reply to Alex T.)
  Post #: 12
RE: please help, major issue - 12.Jul.2004 4:02:00 AM   
kidego

For one thing, it is recommended that you install on a member server and not a DC if possible. In larger environments, Exchange needs all the resources it can get.
Second, it sounds like DNS is the issue here. If the member server was successfully added to the domain, and forestprep and domainprep worked, then the install should have worked as well. Verify for me that the only DNS entry on the Exchange member server is the internal DNS/DC/GC machine.

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 13
RE: please help, major issue - 12.Jul.2004 4:47:00 AM   
Alex T.

Forest prep and Domain Prep are done on the Active Directory box right? Then I just run the exchange install on the separate exchange box?

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 14
RE: please help, major issue - 12.Jul.2004 5:26:00 AM   
Yep, since you have only one DC and one domain, both Forestprep and Domainprep is done on that Domain Controller. Once you have done all that, than you can try installing Exchange on your member server.

(in reply to Alex T.)
  Post #: 15
RE: please help, major issue - 18.Aug.2004 11:45:00 PM   
legacyb4

Along similar lines, is installation of the ADC also necessary on the Exchange 2003 member server?

My assumption is 'no' since it's already been installed on the 2003 domain controller and configured/tested to be working with an existing Exchange 5.5 server.

(in reply to Alex T.)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> please help, major issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter