• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Front-End access to child domains in Forest

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Front-End access to child domains in Forest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 8.Dec.2004 2:36:00 PM   
2nd-protocol

Afternoon,

I am pondering setting up Front-end servers to allow Internet access to our Exchange 2000/2003 org. The exchange organisation is spread across several AD child domains - I.E UK.company.com and US.company.com in a single forest.

In order to provide access to mailboxes on all exchange servers in the different AD domains, would I need a Front-end server for each domain or can one FE allow access to all exchange servers in the organisation, regardless of which domain the back-end server is in?

Clive
Post #: 1
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 8.Dec.2004 3:19:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

You can use a single front-end for all your child domains, just remember to make a RUS connection to each.

(in reply to 2nd-protocol)
Post #: 2
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 8.Dec.2004 3:37:00 PM   
2nd-protocol

The whole organisation uses the same primary smtp format of user@company.com whether the mailbox is in the root or any of the child AD domains. I presume no additional RUS are needed in this case?

So, I can use a single FE server to provide access to exchnage servers in muliple child domains in the forest. That is good news. I got the impression I had to have one FE for each AD domain the exchange servers were located in.

Are there any additional steps I need to be aware of when setting this up?

Thanks

Clive

Post #: 3
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 8.Dec.2004 6:02:00 PM   
2nd-protocol

Just had a go at setting this up on my Testbed and seem to be hitting a snag. I have set up a root domain (comany.com)with 1 FE and 1 BE exchange server. I have then set up a child domain (uk.company.com)and added another exchange server to the organisation

I can use the FE to get to accounts on the exchange server in the same AD domain, but when attempting to access accounts on the exchange server in the child domain, I get a 503 "service unavailable" error.

The primary SMTP address of users in both domains is comany.com

Any ideas?

Post #: 4
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 8.Dec.2004 8:55:00 PM   
skipster311

Try adding a front end sever that is a member of the child domain. Remember domains are security boundaries evan though all domains are in he same forest and share a trust relationship, but if you your fromt end server is not a member of the child domain then you this could explain why you got the error you did

Post #: 5
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 9.Dec.2004 8:06:00 AM   
2nd-protocol

Is there any Microsoft document that gives a definitive answer - I.E. Front-End must be in the same AD domain as Back-end servers you are trying to access?

I can't find anything that mentions the limitations either way.

Post #: 6
RE: Front-End access to child domains in Forest - 9.Dec.2004 2:04:00 PM   
2nd-protocol

OK,

Got it to work. I needed to add the DNS suffixes of the child domain to the Network adapter settings search path. Not sure why it doesn't use a FQDN

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Front-End access to child domains in Forest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter