• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 12.Jan.2005 6:35:00 PM   
rwilliams3

I currently have one server running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows server 2000 (server1). I have purchased a new server and installed Windows server 2003 and Exchange 2003 SP1 (server2).

I want to move all mailboxes (around 350) and public folders to server2 and take server1 off-line and reformat it; then bring server1 back up as Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 front-end server.

1.) Has anyone done something similiar to this?

2.) Do you know of any Microsoft or MSExchange.org "How To" articles to assist with this process?

3.) What is the best order of steps to follow to make this happen?

thanks,

rwilliams3
"[Confused]"
Post #: 1
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 12.Jan.2005 9:07:00 PM   
1) install second exchange server in existing organization.
2) move all your users over to this new server.
3) setup public folder replication to replicate to this new server.
4) backup inforstore and public store on old server.
5) unmount both store on old server for few days and see if anyone is missing anything.
6) un-install exchange from old server and re-build your old server.

sandman

(in reply to rwilliams3)
  Post #: 2
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 12.Jan.2005 9:25:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Also see this answer:

http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=001316

(in reply to rwilliams3)
Post #: 3
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 12.Jan.2005 11:48:00 PM   
rwilliams3

THANKS!

Few more questions:

1.) Does the new Exchange 2003 server (server2) need to be a domain controller or just a member server?

2.) Does server2 need to have DNS installed, running and pointing to itself? Or can I point it (Network Properties setup) at another of my DNS servers?

Thanks,

rwilliams3

(in reply to rwilliams3)
Post #: 4
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 13.Jan.2005 3:21:00 PM   
It is Microsoft's best practice not to make your exchange server DC. If you were to make your exchange server DC, than it will always look to itself for any DC related communication (Will not look at any other DC in your AD). In case something happens to your DC on that server than your exchange could get hosed up.

You do not need to install DNS on exchange server either, you may simply point it your existing DNS server.

Sandman

(in reply to rwilliams3)
  Post #: 5
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 13.Jan.2005 4:33:00 PM   
rwilliams3

1.) Does new one (server2) need to be a Global Catalog server? Step 12 on http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9 shows that it should be. But that's for Ex2000.

2.) Does it need to have any FSMO roles on it? Step 15 on http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9 shows that it should be. But that's for Ex2000.

3.) Both server2 and OWA server1 will be behind a firewall. Should I open ports 25/110 on both and also ports 80 & 443 SSL on the OWA server?

Thanks for everyones input! I'm almost ready to make the switch...

rwilliams3

[Wink]

(in reply to rwilliams3)
Post #: 6
RE: Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed - 13.Jan.2005 5:07:00 PM   
Your system needs to be DC in order for server to be global catalog or play FSMO role. If you have other DCs in your AD than you do not need to make this server DC at all, you can get away with server2 running as a member server, therefor not worrying about your current win2k AD.

However if server1 is the only win2K DC in your AD than you will need to make server2 DC because you are planning on upgrading server1 at some point. Even if this is true, server1 is win2K AD and server2 will be windows 2003 you wil need to plan out your AD upgarde first.

Sandman

(in reply to rwilliams3)
  Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Mailbox migration and adding new server help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter