• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

First Installation by a New Bee, Configration Required

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> First Installation by a New Bee, Configration Required Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Installation by a New Bee, Configration Required - 17.Jan.2005 2:55:00 PM   
zahir

Hi

I m a new bee to Exchange Server
Please give me a solution, and any new tools/services to be installed on my computers

Computer Name: ServerA
Hardware: P-IV 2.4 Ghz, 256 MB Ram Computer
Software: OS Windows 2003 Server with Share point Services.
Active Directory, DNS Installed

The above computer is the primary domain in my network.

Our network is connected to Internet via DSL connection. A proxy Server connects al the users to the internet.

I have installed Exchange 2003 Server successfully on the above computer.

My organization has a web site. The ISP has given some email addresses. We check that from the Web.

Now it is required that we must provide email to all the staff members and must be managed locally.

The emails from outside must come to our Exchange Server. The emails from our staff computers must first come to our local exchange server and must go through this exchange servers

What Configurations are required and What end. Please guide

Regards

zahir
Post #: 1
RE: First Installation by a New Bee, Configration Required - 18.Jan.2005 9:39:00 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Need some clarification on what you actually meant here because you referenced at least two Exchange servers.
In brief. You talk to your ISP. They will convert the POP3 domain to an smtp domain and point the MX record at an IP address on your network. If you don't have a fixed IP then the ISP will suggest they leave things as they are and configure a catch-all POP3 account for you. You will then use a 3rd party POP3 connector (POPCON, POPBeamer etc.) and collect your mail. The POP3 connector will deliver it as SMTP to the Exchange server. The Exchange server will distribute it correctly to the mailboxes.
You will configure your SMTP Virtual Server to send all outbound messages to the SMTP relay at your ISP. The ISP will tell you what that is.
All users and all mail for your domain will terminate on your Exchange server.
You will then configure Outlook Web Access or POP/IMAP or RPC over HTTPS to enable the users on the outside to look at their mail. You will cease using the ISP to read messages etc.

Take a look at www/microsoft.com/exchange and read the whitepapers there. They will help you understand and expand on the things I mentioned in brief. As you gain more understanding you will probably want to come back here with specific questions about a particular topic. Feel free.

(in reply to zahir)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> First Installation by a New Bee, Configration Required Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter