• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

server specs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> server specs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
server specs - 30.Jan.2005 8:18:00 PM   
terry712

i'm afraid i'm very new to exchange so a bit clueless

i'm just starting testing on an upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 , i'm going to use completely new hardware though . in my testing lab - the exchange 5.5 are bdc's to replicate current setup, the confusing thing was that it allowed me to upgrade the forest and domain level to 2003 with these in place - i didnt think it was suppose to allow this - is it best to do this or ?

also i if i login to someone who has email still on a 5.5 box - the address book has duplicate entries for everyone , login as a new 2003 account and the address book is ok - is this something i have screwed up on or is it a tick or something.

sorry for so long

i'm going to use two servers for exchange and was thinking of another one for owa - is this the preferred or ?

also what way should the disks be setup.
i will probably use dl380's with a split backblane so that i have 2 array controllers - raid 1 for the os and some logs or whatever - and then not sure if it's better to be raid 1 or 5 (docs seem to switch)
Post #: 1
RE: server specs - 30.Jan.2005 9:19:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Below MS Papers willgive you answers to all your migration questions:

Download details: Upgrading Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 in a Medium-Sized Organization:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=38F816A4-FB6A-4CDB-991C-2D8FF73B5CE5&displaylang=en

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/depguide.mspx

You don't need a dedicated OWA server (also known as a front-end server) as long as you only got one back-end server in your environment.

Sounds like a good idea with two array controllers for the RAIDs. RAID1 performs better when it comes to write performance, but it's often safer to take the RAID5 path.

(in reply to terry712)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> server specs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter