• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Move Exchange to new forest

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Move Exchange to new forest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Move Exchange to new forest - 1.Feb.2005 4:55:00 PM   
lewiray

Greetings to all,

This is my first post so please go easy on me. I am planning to move from Exchange 2000 standard edition to Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. I inherited this network and there are two separate forests with, for the most part, duplicate users in each. I'm going to build the new Exchange 2003 server and then want to migrate the mailboxes from the old Exchange 2000 server. Of course, I want to move all users, mailboxes, public folders, etc to the new server. Final goal is one forest with the Exchange 2003 as the mail server. Any ideas on the best course of action?

Quick summary of network:
2 separate Forests
Forest One - Windows 2K Domain 55 users with 1 Windows 2K Exchange Srv
Forest Two - Windows 2K3 Domain same 55 users (give or take) no Exchange server yet

Goal move users and mailboxes from 2K Domain into W2K3 Domain onto new Exchange 2003 Server. Get rid of Forest One.

Any articles or books recommended? I am definitely looking for a good Exchange 2003 Server book. Will the ADMT and Exchange migration tools be able to do the trick? Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Move Exchange to new forest - 2.Feb.2005 10:14:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

Use Method 5 in below MS KB article:

A comparison of the migration methods for migrating from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003 or to Exchange 2000 Server:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;327928

Also check:

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/depguide.mspx

A good book on the subject is:

Microsoft« Exchange Server 2003 Deployment and Migration: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1555583164/ref=ase_isaserver/002-9602680-6049600?v=glance&s=books

(in reply to lewiray)
Post #: 2
RE: Move Exchange to new forest - 2.Feb.2005 6:23:00 PM   
lewiray

Thank you for the reply. I'll check out all the links that you suggested and probably buy the book you suggested. I'll also make sure to post an update when I finish the project. Thanks again.

(in reply to lewiray)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Move Exchange to new forest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter