• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can't uninstall exchange 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Can't uninstall exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't uninstall exchange 2003 - 4.Mar.2005 7:54:00 PM   
jmcarlso

I have 2 exchange servers A and B.

Server A was the initial exchange 2003 (Ent Ed) server that was installed and we had 1018 errors (database corruption). I installed Server B, moved mailboxes, public folders, routing master, etc. to Server B and am now trying to remove exchange from Server A. Everything works fine with Server B when I have all exchange services on Server A shutdown.

I'd like to reinstall the OS and Exchange after checking hardware issues on Server A and make it our sole Exchange server again. I want to keep Exchange in AD, just remove references of Server A so I can install a fresh OS.

However, I'm unable to remove Exchange from Server A (when I remove from Add/Remove programs, everything aborts with the error "unexpected error occured 8000ffff MS Exchange Setup").

If I rebuild server A without removing exchange first and reinstall Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 with the exact same name, will that create any further problems because of the different SID that will be generated with the new install?

What's the best way to remove exchange from Server A, rebuild it from scratch keeping the same name and placing it back in as our main exchange server?

Need help asap, thanks in advance!
Jay
Post #: 1
RE: Can't uninstall exchange 2003 - 7.Mar.2005 12:24:00 PM   
pjhutch

You can leave exchange on server A, then install exchange on new box using Setup /disasterrecovery switch so it will install the program files but use the same settings as old box stored in AD.

As for SIDs, if you keep the old computer account in AD, select Reset Account, then add the new computer you can keep the same SID!

(in reply to jmcarlso)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't uninstall exchange 2003 - 21.Mar.2005 4:45:00 PM   
If you already have everything moved to Server B, including routing master, mailboxes, connectors and public folder replicas, the easiest way is to just format the hard drive of Server A.

While it is rebuilding, delete its computer account from the Active Directory (ADUC -> domain.com -> Computers -> Rightclick Server A and Delete) and then delete it from exchange (System Manager -> Admin Groups -> groupname -> Servers -> Right click Server A and Delete) Allow enough time for the AD settings to propogate to all DC's before rejoining Server A to the domain, if you want to keep the same name, but not the same SID.

Before you reuse Server A Hardware, assure the corruption was software and not hardware related!

Samuel Bilodeau
IT Technician

(in reply to jmcarlso)
  Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Can't uninstall exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter