• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions - 9.Jun.2005 3:17:00 PM   
bmahaffey

Hello and thank you a head of time for you help.

Our School site currenly has Groupwise. We are migrating to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with Server 2003 Standard.

At our District office we have our Groupwise MTA and our PO's at each School Site.

So I have been reading up on Exchange 2003 in a Front-End Back-End Environment. And i wanted to know if i am going in the correct direction.

We have one domain name for email across the District. I will replace the Groupwise MTA with an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition as the front-end server in the DMZ.
at each school site i will setup and install Exchange 2003 in as a Backend Server. Does this seem like a correct way to move this district? I am open to any suggestions.

I really appreicate your time and effort.

Thank You,

Brian

[ June 09, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Mahaffey ]
Post #: 1
RE: Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions - 9.Jun.2005 3:54:00 PM   
judge smails

What client protocol is being used by the client to access mail? Where are your GC/DC's going to be located? When you say you plan to put in teh FE server, is that just as a bridgehead (gateway) or will it also be a FE protocol server (POP, IMAP, OWA)? What kind of links do you have between sites? If each site has it's own BE Exchange server, the clients will have better performance and experience hitting the BE directly. I guess it depends on a few other factors. If you can give some more answers/detail, I may have some input and I am sure there are others in this site that will have good info.

Nate

(in reply to bmahaffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions - 10.Jun.2005 12:42:00 PM   
bmahaffey

What client protocol is being used by the client to access mail?
-Pop3 & SMTP currently
-pop3, smtp, imap, & OWA we want to run

Where are your GC/DC's going to be located?

Our MDF - At the District Office, I would like to setup trees at each site ex: the main domain, district.edu have our DC "GC" dc.district.edu & the FE or Bridgehead "mail.district.edu" whatever would work better in our design.

Then have our trees like site1.district.edu with a DC & backend Mail server for the local user to send with the same domain name. All users have @district.edu as their Mail Domain Names.

When you say you plan to put in teh FE server, is that just as a bridgehead (gateway) or will it also be a FE protocol server (POP, IMAP, OWA)?

-That is a good question, see this is what is getting me. This server the mail.district.edu will have a DMZ address that the outside traffic can send mail to which from there it will route to the users mail box located at the correct site. So FE? or Bridgehead? thats what im wondering. pop, smtp, owa, imap, ssl etc. whatever mail protocol i can run.

What kind of links do you have between sites?
Dual DS-3's at the Main Site and to each School Site we have Dual T-1's that connect into the District "Main Site". So we have public addresses at each site but they all route into the District then out to the Internet. Our district is flat with VLAN's other security protocols which the routing i can do on my own.

If each site has it's own BE Exchange server, the clients will have better performance and experience hitting the BE directly. I guess it depends on a few other factors. If you can give some more answers/detail, I may have some input and I am sure there are others in this site that will have good info.

-Any other info you can think of i will provide.

-Again thank you for you time and effort, if anyone also has any input i would really appreicate it.

[ June 10, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Mahaffey ]

(in reply to bmahaffey)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Calling all 2003 Exch Experts - Design Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter