• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book - 16.Jun.2005 7:22:00 AM   
bejiboys

We have recently installed Exch2k3 to upgrade 2 existing old Exchange installations in different companies in anticipation of a merger. We did everything from scratch, the surviving company install as the parent domain xxx.com and the acquired company as a child domain child.xxx.com, single exchange setup with the server of xxx.com as master and child.xxx.com as member.

We would like to create separate address lists for each company. We created an custom address list xxx and defined the query parameters. Doing a preview on the custom address list yields the expected results. We created more of this to make user search more easier

Our problem: How do we make Outlook show the custom address lists created? Opening the address book in outlook seem to show only the default GAL's or Address Lists but not the custom address lists defined in Exchange System Manager. Is this scenario possible at all?

Thanks a lot.

Benji
Post #: 1
RE: Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book - 16.Jun.2005 8:03:00 AM   
pjhutch

Is this Custom GALs or custom Address lists?
If a custom GAL, then you need to check Security permissions for users to Read/List the Address lists.
To get the new GAL, ask users to logout, login to refresh new Address list access rights.

(in reply to bejiboys)
Post #: 2
RE: Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book - 16.Jun.2005 11:32:00 PM   
bejiboys

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am actually trying to decide on which one would serve the purpose. Is there a rule of thumb on when to use a custom GAL vs. a custom AL?

I made a custom AL last night and noticed that this morning that it was already visible in Outlook. I created a number of custom AL's per that queried per department, but noticed the changes didn't appear immediately. I forced a update, no change. A few minutes later, forced a rebuild, still no change. Logged the user out and re-logged in, still no change. It's been about 20 minutes and still no changes seen. Any ideas?

If we were to decide to use GAL, what other rights should be allowed other than what is default. You mentioned that the read/list access should be enabled. Inspecting the authenticated user default security for the new custom GAL resulted in enabled open address list and list contents. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks a lot.

Benji

(in reply to bejiboys)
Post #: 3
RE: Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book - 17.Jun.2005 12:10:00 PM   
aguia

Check This
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/maintain/exrecip.mspx

Especially the following section at the end of the document:
Address List Access Control

(in reply to bejiboys)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Custom GAL; how to display in Outlook Addy Book Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter