Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

spenny74 -> Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (28.Jun.2005 7:44:00 AM)

Hi,

I have recently installed Exchange 2003 onto a Server 2003 machine; I have also installed service pack 1. Installation appears to have been successful, no error messages. I am, however, unable to send an internal test email. I canĘt seem to get the SMTP service to start. When I try to do this manually I get this error message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 28/06/2005
Time: 12:25:19
User: N/A
Computer: MAIL-SERVER
Description:
The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

In the Exchange system manager it says the default SMTP virtual server is unavailable.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Chris

mark@mvps.org -> RE: Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (29.Jun.2005 3:18:00 AM)

Are you sure it was working right up to the point you did the upgrade and do you still see the SMTP service within Services in Windows?

spenny74 -> RE: Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (29.Jun.2005 4:35:00 AM)

As far as I know the SMTP service was working. You can still see SMTP in services in windows; it was from there that I attempted to manually start the service and failed.

spenny74 -> RE: Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (29.Jun.2005 9:55:00 AM)

An update on this problem. I removed the SMTP service and reinstalled it. I now receive this message in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SMTPSVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 115
Date: 29/06/2005
Time: 14:33:42
User: N/A
Computer: MAIL-SERVER
Description:
The service could not bind instance 1. The data is the error code.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 40 27 00 00 @'..

In the Exchange system manager it still says the default SMTP virtual server is unavailable.

a.grogan -> RE: Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (29.Jun.2005 2:43:00 PM)

I think that Exchange has not taken over control of the SMTP service (as it needs to) - have a go at now re-installing Exchange, hopefully that will do the trick.

A

spenny74 -> RE: Default SMTP virtual server is unavailable (30.Jun.2005 4:18:00 AM)

Thanks for the help, I discovered that another service was using port 25 which meant Exchange couldn't, the problem is now fixed.

Thanks

Page: [1]