• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Utter Newbie question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Utter Newbie question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utter Newbie question - 30.Jun.2005 3:08:00 PM   
Fezzik

Hello everyone,
I am testing out Exchange 2003 in a small office environment. We have an ISP (Rogers). We want Exchange to use this ISP to send and receive Internet email and then route it to the appropriate address within our network.

Is this what Exchange does? (told ya I was an utter newbie!). If so, how do I tell exchange to use our ISP's SMTP and POP accounts to send and receive mail?

Even a pointer to some good resources online would be appreciated. This is for a non-profit organization and I'm all they could afford!

Thanks for any assistance,
Fezz

[ June 30, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Fezzik ]
Post #: 1
RE: Utter Newbie question - 30.Jun.2005 3:44:00 PM   
Mathiau

well, i dont see any real point in doing this - simply doing what your ISP is already doing... ?

or am i missing something?

you can set up the excange to download emails from your email providers servers and then allow multiple people to then access that single domain / address - you can set up multiple domains.

How many people are in this organization?

ideally if you can configure a Exchange srver you can get these people their own doamin name / email addresses and not even have to use the ISP's

(in reply to Fezzik)
Post #: 2
RE: Utter Newbie question - 30.Jun.2005 3:47:00 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If you want to use your Exchange server then there are a couple of ways.

1. Speak to the ISP and have all mail dumped into a single POP3 mailbox. Then use a POp3 connector: POPCON is about 50 Euro or so. That collects the mail and shoves it to your SMTp interface, delivering mail correctly. Outbound you select the relay at your ISP (ask them) and then configure the SMARTHOST on the SMTP VSI to send mail from you to their server.

2. Speak to your ISP and have them give you a fixed IP address. They will do the DNS so that all mail flows directly to you. The ISP will set up a FALLBACK for use in case your server gets switched off for the weekend or something.

Have a think about the options and have a chat with the ISP to see which one attacts least cost to you.

Then come back here with more questions because you'll proably need the jargon (in caps) translated and you'll probably need some advice in actually setting up the option you eventually go with.

(in reply to Fezzik)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Utter Newbie question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter