• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP - 7.Oct.2003 12:06:00 AM   
chefwong

I'm playing around with Exchange 2003 on a single server box running Windows 2003.

OWA, MAPI, etc work great. However, when trying to connect from the outside world via RPC/HTTP it seems to hang. Opened up port 593 with no success. Does this port need to be opened anyhow or is everything run through port 80/443?
Post #: 1
RE: Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP - 7.Oct.2003 9:56:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

Hello chefwong,

Only port 80 or 443 needs to be open in order to get RPC over HTTP working from outside your LAN.

(in reply to chefwong)
Post #: 2
RE: Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP - 8.Oct.2003 6:34:00 PM   
Randy Temple

Depending on you setup . By using ISA Server in the perimeter network to route RPC over HTTP requests and positioning the Exchange front-end server in the corporate network, you only need to open port 80 or port 443 on the internal firewall for Outlook 2003 clients to communicate with Exchange.When located in the perimeter network, the ISA server is responsible for routing RPC over HTTP requests to the Exchange front-end server acting as an RPC Proxy server. In this scenario, the RPC Proxy server uses specified ports to communicate with other servers that use RPC over HTTP.

Although not recommended, you can position the Exchange Server 2003 front-end server acting as the RPC Proxy server inside the perimeter network. In this scenario, you specify a limited number of ports that the RPC Proxy server needs. Figure 2.3 illustrates this deployment scenario. Note that in the following example, your Exchange front-end server will still need all of the standard ports to communicate with the internal corporate network in addition to the ports for RPC over HTTP.
To use RPC over HTTP, you must run Windows Server 2003 on the following computers:
All Exchange 2003 servers that will be accessed with Outlook 2003 clients using RPC over HTTP.
The Exchange 2003 front-end server acting as the RPC Proxy server.
The global catalog server used by Outlook 2003 clients and the Exchange 2003 servers configured to use RPC over HTTP.
Exchange 2003 must be installed on all Exchange servers that are used by the computer designated as the RPC proxy server. Additionally, all client computers running Outlook 2003 must also be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1

(in reply to chefwong)
Post #: 3
RE: Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP - 8.Oct.2003 8:51:00 PM   
bist

Copy & Paste ???

too easy. This will not help u.

What you must not forget is to install the RPC patch for XP sp1 and do not forget to configure your registry to configure the port range you want to use for RPC.

I had the same problem. Use RPC ping from the W2K3 resource kit to make sure if your RPC is running on the Exchange2003 server.

You can use this command to test it using RPCPing

rpcping -t ncacn_http -s exchangeserver -o RpcProxy=Exchangeproxyserver -P "user,domain,*" -H 1 -u 10 -a c
onnect -F 3 -v 3

HAve fun

[ October 08, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: bist ]

(in reply to chefwong)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Port 593 - Does it need to be open for RPC/HTTP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter