• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Your mailbox is over its size limit

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Your mailbox is over its size limit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your mailbox is over its size limit - 4.Mar.2004 2:56:00 PM   
lohearn

Hello everyone,

I have one user who keeps getting this message. As far as I know and can see he is set up exactly the same way as everyone else is and there is no other user getting this error.

This is what the complete message says:
Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator.
Your mailbox size is 195965 KB.
Mailbox size limits:
You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 175000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size.
"To make more space available, delete any items that you are no longer using or move them to your personal folder file (.pst).
Items in all of your mailbox folders including the Deleted Items and Sent Items folders count against your size limit.
You must empty the Deleted Items folder after deleting items or the space will not be freed.
See client Help for more information."

Any clue of how I can see how big his mailbox is? Super rookie here, still trying to learn exchange. How can I increase the storage limit if I need to?

[ March 04, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]
Post #: 1
RE: Your mailbox is over its size limit - 4.Mar.2004 3:28:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Hi Lisa,

To check the size of the mailbox in Outlook do the following.

- Right-click the Mail - Name > Select Properties
- Hit Folder size

To check the mailbox size from the Exchange server:

- Open System Manager
- Drill down to: First Administrative Group > Servers > Server > First Storage Group > Mailbox Store (server)

- Click Mailboxes

You will then be able to see mailbox size etc. in the right pane.

(in reply to lohearn)
Post #: 2
RE: Your mailbox is over its size limit - 4.Mar.2004 3:44:00 PM   
uemurad

Use the Exchange System Manager. In the Administrative Groups drill down to your server, and below that the appropriate Storage Group, Mailbox Store, and finally Mailboxes. You will see a list of all the mailboxes on that server, and their sizes in KB.

Using the Active Directory Users and Computers utility, drill down to the particular user's properties. On the Exchange General tab go to Storage Limits. If the "Use mailbox store defaults" is unchecked, the limits will be defined in the fields immediately below. If it is checked, you need to go back to the System Manager, right click on the Mailbox Store, and select properties. Go to the Limits tab. There you will see the limits. There are three fields. The warning is just that. If active, Prohibit send means your user won't be able to send out any messages when that size has been reached (but will still be able to receive messages). If active, Prohibit send and receive will effectively shut down that mailbox (you really don't want to use this option unless you absolutely have to).

Another way to determine the mailbox size is entering the mailbox properties and looking at folder size.

(in reply to lohearn)
Post #: 3
RE: Your mailbox is over its size limit - 4.Mar.2004 9:12:00 PM   
lohearn

Thanks guys! Someday I hope to be able to answer questions instead of just ask them [Wink] .

Before using Exchange we had POP3 mail through a provider. Everyone had their mail files local and many a time a computer would crash and take along many vaulable e-mail folders with it. That's one of the biggest reasons we went with exchange as all mail is stored on the server and gets backed up everyday. So how do we avoid the mailbox sizes from getting out of control? What do you folks do? What mailbox storage limits do you have set?

(in reply to lohearn)
Post #: 4
RE: Your mailbox is over its size limit - 4.Mar.2004 11:28:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Well that depends on how much diskspace you can afford spending on your users [Wink]

The companies I have worked with had mailbox limits between 50 and 150 MB, but doesn't your company have some kind of SLA (Service Level Agreement) you could follow.

(in reply to lohearn)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Your mailbox is over its size limit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter