• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two s

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two s Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the m... - 12.Jul.2004 10:53:00 PM   
rwong

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.

Anyone know what this means?
Post #: 1
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 12.Jul.2004 11:50:00 PM   
tc77

Hi

If you have a receipient that forwards all incoming mails to a group that he is a member in or directly to himself. This will happen.

What happens is that the mail comes into the system, is received by the useraccount, is forwarded to the group which then sends the mail to the user, which forwards to the group and so on.

Check if the user that you send the message to, have a loop configuration in the Exchange General -> delivery options tab in the AD.
Or have set up a false Outlook rule.

/TC

(in reply to rwong)
Post #: 2
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 13.Jul.2004 6:41:00 PM   
rwong

thanks for your help. However, I go to the delivery options tab in AD, there is nothing that show I am forwarding email. ( it select NONE by default)..

um.. what should I do? any other way to fix it?

Thanks in advance

(in reply to rwong)
Post #: 3
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 5.Aug.2009 1:34:10 PM   
max2479

I have the same problem. the issue is NOT with inbound but with outbound connection.
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.  Contact your administrator.
           <server.domain.com #5.3.5>
I have checked the SMTP connector and it is using front end exhcnage server IP address. bridgeheads were added as well.
in SMTP properties of the front end server correct IP address selected.

Exchange 2003 SP2 backend
Exchange 2003 SP2 front end.

Message trace shows it delivering to the front end server and that is where NDR is being generated.

any ideas?

(in reply to rwong)
Post #: 4
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 5.Aug.2009 4:23:28 PM   
uemurad

Is the forwarding address an alias for an object in your AD forest?
Where is the forwarding configured?  In the mailbox rules, or in the AD object properties?
Is this a new issue?  If so, what has changed recently in your Exchange Organization configuration?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to max2479)
Post #: 5
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 7.Oct.2010 1:51:28 PM   
chrislee0101

I get the same error trying to send mail from an Exchange 2003 mailbox to an Exchange 2007 mailbox.

Both server are in the same domain and organization.  We are migrating from 2003 to 2007, but are stuck until mail will flow from the 2003 server to the 2007 server.

Mail does flow from the 2007 server to the 2003 server, and from 2007 to the internet.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 7.Oct.2010 2:04:59 PM   
uemurad

Access the console of the 2003 server, and start a Telnet session via port 25 to the 2007 server. What happens when you attempt to create/send a message to a valid address on the 2007 server?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to chrislee0101)
Post #: 7
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 7.Oct.2010 5:06:25 PM   
chrislee0101

Thanks for your reply, but we have resolved our problem.

We had a SmartHost configured on the Default SMTP Virtual Server and on our Internet SMTP connector.  Apparently, this works fine if you have just Exchange 2003, but as soon as we introduced Exchange 2007 into the mix...not so much.

Because Exchange 2003 uses the Default SMTP Virtual Server to communicate with Exchange 2007, and VS had a SmartHost setting, Exchange 2003 was just bouncing the messages between itself and our SmartHost.  As soon as I removed the SmartHost setting on the VS, while leaving it on the Internet SMTP Connector, mail began to flow between the Exchange server and Exchange 2007 and the internet.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 7.Oct.2010 5:41:42 PM   
uemurad

Glad you resolved your issue. I don't know that the condition was caused entirely by having 2007 in the Organization. Having the smarthost set in the VS forces the message to go to the 2007 server. Something in your routing configuration makes the message think it has to go out through the 2003 server (which of course then smarthosts back to the 2007 server).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to chrislee0101)
Post #: 9
RE: A configuration error in the e-mail system caused t... - 7.Oct.2010 5:59:52 PM   
chrislee0101

My issue was never a go out issue.  I could always send mail out from the 2007 server.

However, until I removed the smarthost setting I could not get into the 2007 server; neither from the internet (gmail) nor from the 2003 server.  Everything coming in stoped at the 2003 and would eventually ndr.  The NDR indicated a loop, which was caused on the 2003 server.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two s Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter