• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Pop3 and Mail/User Alias Problems

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Pop3 and Mail/User Alias Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pop3 and Mail/User Alias Problems - 27.Aug.2004 5:27:00 PM   
Mok

I posted this question as a reply to another similar question, but don't know if anyone read it or not, so thought I'd post it as a new topic, since I already know the problem, am just looking for a solution.

I have users log in with their first name - Bill. When I created the accounts, I'm certain the alias' were set to the same as the login (isn't that by default anyway) so the alias is Bill.

For their email accounts though, since I migrated from a stand-alone internet email server, to full-time exchange handling internal and internet email, the email is buser@company.com.

My users cannot pop email unless you put in the "user name" portion of the email account as DOMAIN.local/Bill/Bill. This is all well and good for normal personal computers at my userÆs houses to get their email from their work accounts.

Where I have a problem, we use an outside spam and virus filtering service, Postini.com (good plug for them). In order for my users to log into Postini to check their culled email (marked as spam or viruses, that Postini didn't let through to my server) to see if there is anything that was detected wrong, they have to log in using their email account and email password.

This fails, because it is sending the email account name buser@company.com as the account name.

There is no way to get the Postini login changed, so I have to adjust on my end. I have fiddled with a test user to see about changing the alias, the login name, and combinations of each to get this to work. It just will not.

So, is there a "fix" for this? Why does Exchange configure this way anyway, it seems awfully convoluted.

Do I need to make all new users, with their logins as buser (instead of Bill like it is now) and get them to re-setup their workstations? I made a 2nd test user, and set his login to cuser (with email as cuser@company.com) and the Postini login worked. So, this I /guess/ is an option. I'm not going to have happy users if I have to do this though.

Certainly there is a way to /fix/ this problem without taking such a drastic measure.

If anyone needs more information about my setup, I'll be happy to supply it.

Thank you,

Mark
Post #: 1
RE: Pop3 and Mail/User Alias Problems - 3.Sep.2004 6:18:00 PM   
Mok

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to try to get around this problem?

Mok

(in reply to Mok)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Pop3 and Mail/User Alias Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter