• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook not responding when receiving attachments.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 22.Sep.2004 5:13:00 PM   
walub

We have several remote branches that connect to us threw vpn's on standard dsl and cable connections. The branches are all running outlook 2000 sr1 and when they are sent an email with a relatively large attachment say 500kbs it causes outlook to say it is not responding for the time it takes for the message to arrive. During this time it looks like outlook is locked it is not possible to type or do anything. We are running an exchange 2003 server at the head office where these branches are connected to. Any help would be really apreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 22.Sep.2004 5:49:00 PM   
pjhutch

What can I say, email is designed for sending mail. Sending large attachments is not the most efficient way. Putting them in a proper server location where people can get them would be better...Use ZIP where possible rather than sending large documents if size/speed is a problem.

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 22.Sep.2004 6:14:00 PM   
walub

I understand that but I still don't think it should freeze up outlook. A user can be in the middle of writing an email and if the get a larger message it just stops responding untill the message comes in. this even happens with 200k messages. It just does not take so long.

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 12.Jul.2005 2:03:00 PM   
egoetz

quote:
Originally posted by walub:
We have several remote branches that connect to us threw vpn's on standard dsl and cable connections. The branches are all running outlook 2000 sr1 and when they are sent an email with a relatively large attachment say 500kbs it causes outlook to say it is not responding for the time it takes for the message to arrive. During this time it looks like outlook is locked it is not possible to type or do anything. We are running an exchange 2003 server at the head office where these branches are connected to. Any help would be really apreciated

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 12.Jul.2005 2:04:00 PM   
egoetz

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I am having the same issue.

Eric Goetz
Network Manager
Nvr, Inc.
703-761-2254
egoetz@nvrinc.com

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 12.Jul.2005 3:11:00 PM   
walub

quote:
Originally posted by egoetz:
Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I am having the same issue.

Eric Goetz
Network Manager
Nvr, Inc.
703-761-2254
egoetz@nvrinc.com

The solution I came up with was to switch everyone to outlook 2003 and then run in chached mode. if you have exchange 2003 cals you have licences for outlook 2003

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 12.Jul.2005 4:31:00 PM   
consultOz

Guys,
=============================================
The solution I came up with was to switch everyone to outlook 2003 and then run in chached mode. if you have exchange 2003 cals you have licences for outlook 2003
=============================================

I would like to know accuracy of this information,
=================================================
IF you have exchange 2003 cals you have licences for outlook 2003
================================================
I called Microsoft, They could not say, if it was right,
Any accurate information would be helpful
Thanks
Best Regards,
oz

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. - 12.Jul.2005 4:34:00 PM   
walub

We checked with our software supplyer and we were good to go. we have a microsoft select agrement which might have alowed for this. I would do a little more digging. I also remember reading it on microsoft's sight some place. sorry I can't help you more than that.

(in reply to walub)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Outlook not responding when receiving attachments. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter