• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

yet again large mailboxes and travellers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> yet again large mailboxes and travellers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
yet again large mailboxes and travellers - 27.Apr.2005 10:26:00 PM   
sov2k

we are planning to roll out exchange 2003 in pure windows XP/2003 environment with outlook 2003 as a client ... i am trying to access client configuration. most important ppl in our organization are travelers accessing e-mail over slow links sometimes ... as low as 28k ... yet they all depend on their e-mail and it is porb a number one thing for them ... they receive a lot of messages with huge attachments ... some of them have mailboxes as large as 1.5 gb ... currently mail is stored on client machines ... so my question is how realistic is it to use a mailbox of that size over a slow link ... using compression, cache or offline capabilities ... if thats not feasible how much exchange/outlook functionality would be lost by storing mail on local machines ... besides ability to manage it centrally ...

i am afraid that a lot smaller mailboxes would have to be used with daily archival to local machine ... backing up those psts or storage on the server is no limitation ... reliability and group collaborative functionality is the priority ...
Post #: 1
RE: yet again large mailboxes and travellers - 28.Apr.2005 12:57:00 AM   
Tom Decaluwé

Hi sov2k,

exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 go a far way towards being as network bandwidth friendly as possible. We have been using cached mode for our roaming users for a while now and are very happy with it.

I don't think you should focus to mutch on the size of the actual mailbox as cache mode should work without a problem.

Your main concern or info you should give is toward two issues:

1) How long are roaming users away from the office and forced to use slow links? Do users come in every week, every month, every year?

=> i will not go into details but in cache mode you have to take the size of the mail in account which you can download in 3 manners in outlook (full / drizzled / header) and you need to think about the Offline address book.

2) How big are these attachement and how often do they get attachments of this size. I don't see why big attachments would be a problem technically but it could take a long time to download ofcourse ;-)

regarding how much functionality you will lose if you go to a decentral POP3 technology i would say a lot and i don't see what benifit you would have by doing this as clients will still need to download the emails over the slow line to get them on there system. Don't forget by holding the emails in exchange your clients can use OWA

archiving pst's has always been an issue and you have about 3 choises i know of:

1) Standard MS => put the pst's on a file share and force (not standard supported) offline file system from windows XP to sync PST files. We have tested this and have had no problem but MS does not support this. If you do it make sure you set the sync to only sync during logon/log off, this should keep your pst's from getting corrupted.

2) install a pst sync tool on the clients and sync the local pst's to a file server. Works but is more work to setup

3) Go for a full bodied 3de party archive tool that integrates into outlook.

I know this is not a real answer to your question but i guess there is no golder best sollution, it all depends on your situation, budget and user demands.
If the attachments are the biggest issue than you will always have the bandwith issue and you might want to look in on using Terminal services or even better a 3de party addon product like citrix.

cheers,

Tom DecaluwT

(in reply to sov2k)
Post #: 2
RE: yet again large mailboxes and travellers - 28.Apr.2005 2:44:00 PM   
sov2k

Tom thanks for response ...

travellers are usually away for no longer then a week ... most of the time they leave for a conference or presentation and come back in few days ... ppl that can be away for two weeks or so have a wireless cards through a nation wide provider and access internet at about 380 kbs ... so i guess bandwidth is not and issue for them ... as i never heard any complaints ...

my main concern was how much impact huge mailboxes have on client performance especially over slow links ... big attachments (up to 12mb), the problem was never with transfer of them but rather the fact that users store them in their mailboxes ... mail isn't just mail for them but a file cabinet as well ... and i'd rather keep it that way if possible rather then trying to teach old dogs new tricks ...

could you elaborate on offline address book issues ... ?

with psts and archival ... i found out that main problem with them is not so much storage as transfer of huge chunks of information over the net ... my plan is to use Veritas DLO agents to transfer those as it does incremental backups of pst files ...

(in reply to sov2k)
Post #: 3
RE: yet again large mailboxes and travellers - 28.Apr.2005 6:01:00 PM   
coreydrysdale

Here's what I would do... In Outlook (I hope it's 2003), go into Tools -> Options. Go to the Mail Setup Tab, then click on the Send/Receive button. You should see All Accounts listed for sending and receiving, click on the Edit button to the left. You should then be able to go through the mail accounts under the users profile and set it up so that they only download the mail headers. Once this is set, you have to inform the users that they are just going to get a list of who is sending them mail, and the topic. Tell them that if they want to read the message, when they go to open it, it's at that point that it will actually download the full message from the server to the client. So tell them that if they double click on a message with an attachment, they might be waiting for 10 minutes or so to get the message.

Either way, this will speed up the time it takes to "check" what mail they have, and let them selectively choose which messages to actually download and read.

Corey

(in reply to sov2k)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> yet again large mailboxes and travellers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter