andrea4581 -> RE: convert .ost file to .pst (21.Apr.2016 8:45:10 PM)
The ost file format is very complex. It starts with a file header containing the meta information of the whole file, followed by several parts containing the actual data. You can find more detailed information about the ost file format by searching on Google with the keyword “ost file format”. If the file header containing the meta information is corrupt, or any follow-up parts are damaged or corrupted, then you will not be able to open the file correctly with Ms Exchange. In such a case, the first step is to try to use the built-in repair or recovery function in the Ms Exchange, to see if it can repair or recover the corrupt file. If not, then you need to resort to a third-party ost to pst software to scan the corrupted file and retrieve all recoverable data for you. It is also possible to find a data recovery expert or company to do the task, but in most of the cases, they will also use a third-party tool to do the recovery for you.
The main difference between using the software by yourself and by a third-party service company is:
(1) The company is familiar with the data recovery industry so he knows which software is the best one. While you need to search and compare the software online by yourself, which is time-consuming.
(2) The company purchases the software for multiple usages, while you purchase the software for one-time usage only. So normally the service fee may be cheaper than the license fee for the software.
(3) DIY will keep your data confidential while do the recovery via a company may cause data breach.
There are several methods to convert OST file to PST file.
First, Microsoft does not provide an official tool to do the conversion. However, if you can access the contents of the OST file in your Outlook, then you can perform the conversion manually, as follows:
1. Start Outlook. Make sure you can access all the contents in the OST file to be converted.
2. Create a new PST file.
3. Go to the OST file, select and copy all the contents to be converted with your mouse.
4. Go back to the new PST file, then paste all the contents into the PST file
That will do the conversion.
You can also perform the conversion by export the contents of the OST file to a PST file by following the instructions at:
Second, if you can access the Exchange server containing the account data for the OST file, then you can use Export-Mailbox command to export the data into a PST file, similar to convert your OST file into a PST file. Below is the article about doing that:
Third, if you cannot access the OST file via Outlook, neither can you access the Exchange Server, then you can try DataNumen Exchange Recovery at:
I have used the tool in the past and it helps convert OST to PST file successfully. The tool has a free demo so that you can try to see if it works on your file or not before you buy.
Hope this will help. Good Luck!