• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Backing up Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Backing up Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Backing up Exchange - 24.Aug.2005 4:07:00 PM   
Admin Stooge

We are currently using Veritas to backup our exchange Storage Groups and normally get errors when the job is running.
What are some of the rest of the Exg Admins using to backup their exchange environment?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Backing up Exchange - 24.Aug.2005 4:53:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

What version of Backup Exec? I've only had very positive experience with Backup Exec in ragrds to backing up Exchange Servers.

What error messages to you receive, and what did you tryout in order to correct them?

(in reply to Admin Stooge)
Post #: 2
RE: Backing up Exchange - 24.Aug.2005 8:47:00 PM   
jmcbee

I have used Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x and it seems to do online backups just fine. If you are doing "brick-level" or mailbox-by-mailbox backups, then that might be problematic. Brick-level backups are evil.

As long as your backup software is installed correctly, you should not be getting errors. These could be indicative of a problem with Exchange, also, rather than the backup software.

Currently, I'm working with a couple of different customers and they do a variety of backup types including using the Windows Backup Utility (to backup to disk), Veritas Backup Exec, CommVault Galaxy, and Network Appliances' SnapManager for Exchange.

Post #: 3
RE: Backing up Exchange - 25.Aug.2005 1:55:00 PM   
Mathiau

Currently i am only using the NTbackup feature in Server 2003

Post #: 4
RE: Backing up Exchange - 25.Aug.2005 3:05:00 PM   
Admin Stooge

I have been having some errors recently with Veritas 9.1 with my exchange backups.
I'm currently backing up the following:

\\exchange cluster\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
\\exchange cluster\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders

\\SMTP server\First Storage Group

And here are some of the errors that I have come across with this backup job which is scheduled to run nightly @7:59pm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup - exchange cluster Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device. [this error has just started to appear]

Unable to attach to \\exchange cluster\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group.

Unable to attach to \\exchange cluster\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I asking about exchange and Veritas is that we have been experiencing some exchange issues and I'm sure some of you have seen me post about the following errors that I have found within the Application Log:
Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcUpdate while accessing the database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store 2 (exchange environment)".

Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcDelete while accessing the database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store 3 (exchange environment)".

Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcSetColumn while accessing the database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (exchange environment)".

I talked to Premier Support about it and they suggested that it could lie with Veritas and the errors that Veritas is creating with not being able to complete a full backup. I'm in the process of removing the remote agent of the exchange cluster but to do this, it requires a reboot of the server. I will have to wait till next Friday evening for our next scheduled maintenance window.
I plan on reinstalling the remote agent, delete the current exchange backup job and recreating a new one. Hopefully this will allow us to get full backups of our exchange environment and resolve that database error 0xfffffd9a.

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Backing up Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter