• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? - 26.Jul.2004 10:32:00 PM   
SnowPunk98

Finally this weekend I was able to migrate to my new server. I have just about everything setup and running the way I want it to so far. IIS, SQL, Exchange, AWstats, FTP, are all good to go. I really want to setup RPC over HTTP since I am using Exchange 2003, Windows XP, and Outlook 2003. I readthis guide explaining how to create the SSL cert and another guide explaining how to configure RPC over HTTP.

I have the CA setup on my server and gave it the name mail.domain.com and can create and pull the SSL cert in fine. My question is in IIS with my main site if I pull the SSL cert into the whole site is screws the website up. I am wondering how to create the SSL to that it only affects the RPC over HTTP.

I also need to create a SSL cert for OWA, I have another virtual site in IIS which is mail.domain.com and redirects to https://www.domain.com/exchange but am also having a bit of trouble again.

For the common name for each one what should I use when I am creating the certificate?
Post #: 1
RE: Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? - 26.Jul.2004 10:42:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Just install the SSL certificate on the Default Web Site, then enable it on the RPC virtual folder and any other folder you wish to implement SSL on (such as the Exchange and Public folders). You don't need to enable SSL on the Default Web Site itself, only install it there.

You don't need to create an additional SSL certificate, just use the same for both OWA and RPC over HTTP. Also you shouldn't enable SSL on the site which redirects to https://www.domain.com/exchange, only on the site containing your OWA virtual folders.

The common name is the FQDN of your Exchange server as it's seen from the Internet, not from your internal network.

Hope this clarifies a few things, otherwise shoot again [Big Grin]

(in reply to SnowPunk98)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? - 26.Jul.2004 11:01:00 PM   
SnowPunk98

I figured I could use the same SSL cert for everything and just enable it on certain things. Just a few replies to what you said...

For some reason if I create the SSL and install it on the default server my website then throws a 400 error. I have to remove the SSL cert to fix the problem...

I have a beta site setup for testing called beta.domain.com so I created a SSL certificate, with a FQDN of beta.domain.com and installed it to the beta virtual site. However once I did that the same thing happened giving me a 400 error.

(in reply to SnowPunk98)
Post #: 3
RE: Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? - 29.Jul.2004 11:14:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

See my answer in the new post you made...

(in reply to SnowPunk98)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Creating a SSL certificate for RPC over HTTP and OWA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter