• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses in full headers?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses in full headers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses in ... - 23.Aug.2004 9:38:00 PM   
balroggie

When looking at full headers from yahoo mail in email sent from mycompany this is what you see....

Note: actual server names, company names, and IP addresses have been changed to protect the innocent and keep me employed "[Smile]"

-----------------------
X-Apparently-To: balroggie@yahoo.com via 206.190.39.192; Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:39:47 -0700

X-Originating-IP: [123.456.789.123]
Return-Path: <balroggie@mycompany.com>

Received: from 123.456.789.123 (EHLO mycompany.com) (123.456.789.123) by mta401.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:39:47 -0700

Received: from myservername ([192.168.0.2]) by mycompany.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:39:45 -0400
-------------------------

I have masquerading turned on inside Exchange and that is what is giving me the 'EHLO mycompany.com' rather than 'EHLO myservername.mycompany.com' (which is what I saw before I had masquerading working).

In looking at this though, I am still sending out with each email 1) the private ip address of the internal mail server, 192.168.0.2, and 2) the mail servers internal name, myservername. Is there anyway to mask/change this as it makes me a little uncomfortable that my email servers' name and private ip is available to all. What I would like to see happen is any and all reference to my mail server point back to simply 'mycompany.com' and let my outside router direct it appropriately. Is this possible to do without a device or software to modif the outgoing packet headers? If there is a setting in Exchange I can turn on that would be perfect.

Any help appreciated and thanks!

balroggie

balroggie@Yahoo.com
Post #: 1
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 24.Aug.2004 6:06:00 PM   
kochhar_rahul

Try using Mascurading DNS on SMTP Vitrual Server, it does exactly what you want in the below mentioned query.

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 24.Aug.2004 8:19:00 PM   
balroggie

I had configured masquerading on the SMTP virtual server, changing the fully qualified domain name to "mycompany.com" and the DNS masquerade to "mycompany.com". This was done beforehand (with a reboot for good measure) but I am still sending out private ip address information and server names. Any way to prevent this?

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 16.Sep.2004 11:22:00 PM   
mikeddib2002

I am having the same issue on my server. On the Advanced Delivery window I have the value for Masquerade domain set to the public name, while the value for FQDN is set to the local name. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 17.Sep.2004 12:31:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

You can't hide the Exchange server's internal IP address from the Internet message header, this is in compliance with the SMTP RFC's.

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 18.Sep.2004 6:54:00 PM   
paulbaldwin

Yeah, Henrik's right, but not all SMTP servers are so stuffy about it.

Forget about configuring your Exchange server, it's the upstream server that's filling in the IP address! In the example here a Microsoft SMTP relay is evident, probably in the DMZ?

I can't figure how to fix a Microsoft SMTP server, but if that relay was running MailSweeper, or perhaps some other SMTP server, you'd find the IP didn't have to appear.

Cheers

P.S. There is a lot of misunderstanding about the 'masquerade domain' in this thread -- you only need the FQDN option set to achieve what is being desired here.

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses... - 28.Nov.2013 3:33:00 PM   
dinaafifi

I am using this VPN https://www.waselpro.com/en/ it works the best for me when i managed to make hide my IP address freely.

(in reply to balroggie)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Anyway to hide server name and private ip addresses in full headers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter