• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Tracking OWA logins

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Tracking OWA logins Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tracking OWA logins - 29.Aug.2005 12:13:00 PM   
chandhru

Hello,

One of my coworker complained that he was not able to access OWA over this weekend. he was on a vacation and was using his friends pc to login to OWA. he said he could see the login screen (which means OWA is working) but when he entered the credentials, it gave 'Access denied' error. he said he entered all the credentials right, the caps lock was not turned on. he was able to login this morning in our office network using OWA

How can I tell that the Exchange server was not causing the problem.Is there a way to track using log files, at what time was he trying to logon and what caused the access denied error for him.
Post #: 1
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 30.Aug.2005 4:24:00 AM   
bej

All logon attempts are logged on the domain controllers under Security in Event viewer. If you have more than one DC you must check them all.

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 2
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 30.Aug.2005 8:49:00 AM   
chandhru

Thanks for the reply. But how would I tell the user, what caused the problem logging in. is there a way that I can tell the password was entered wrong, or any other details that caused the 'Access denied' error.

for that user I saw event Id 538 and 540 for three times.

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 3
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 30.Aug.2005 10:01:00 AM   
bej

538 and 540 indicates successful domain logons so you might wanna check your IIS logs on the Exchange server.

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 4
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 30.Aug.2005 12:57:00 PM   
chandhru

Bengt, I am not sure about which logs should I check in IIS. It would be great if you could let me know, what events should I check in my IIS

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 5
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 31.Aug.2005 5:01:00 AM   
bej

Check under Security in Event Viewer and check the logs in IIS if they are enabled. You can find the path in IIS Properties.

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 6
RE: Tracking OWA logins - 2.Sep.2005 9:14:00 AM   
chandhru

Bengt,

I found the IIS logs but I am not able to interpret what caused the user not able to login at that time. I see several poll and get requests for other users, but none for this user. what basically should I look in my IIS log.

Thanks
Chandhra

(in reply to chandhru)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Tracking OWA logins Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter