• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to forward an internal email to an external email address?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> How to forward an internal email to an external email address? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to forward an internal email to an external email a... - 10.Sep.2003 9:13:00 AM   
rtaqvi

Hi Guys! Let me explain the setup...we have an Exchange 2000 Server, users are using MS Outlook 2000 as the email client to manage the local as well as Internet emails. Our local domain and Internet domain have the same name, for example ˘mycompany.com÷ ű but we do not host our web server. Our web server is hosted by a service provider. We also use ISA Server, and our Exchange server is behind the ISA.

Users have Internet email addresses in the form of j-doe@mycompany.com, this has also been setup in the Active Directory under the ˘email addresses÷ tab as their SMTP address for each user who has a company provided Internet email address. Users who donĂt have a company provided email ID have a default Windows provided email address as SMTP addresses in their ˘e-mail addresses tab÷ in the Active Directory. I am not sure if these default Windows provided email addresses are serving a purpose for routing internal messages or should they be removed - one more aspect that needs some light.

The real problem...whenever users forward an internally received message to an external Internet email address, we find the message gets stuck in the SMTP queue on Exchange server. And as normally, the delay notifications start coming until the message is finally returned undelivered. Everything works fine when a person tries to forward an external message to an external email ID.

Most users use Outlook 2000, which as far as I know, provides no means of explicitly selecting a delivery method before sending an email. However, Outlook 2002 does provide this method, and the emails go OK if one selects the "internet delivery" method for any internal emails that he wishes to forward to an external email address.

My question is how can I make Outlook 2000 select the correct delivery method to forward internal emails to external email addresses. Mind you, the user does retype the Internet email address when forwarding an internal email. In the Outlook delivery setup, the internet delivery is right at the top, then the exchange delivery, and then remote delivery method.

People are crawling on the backs of my tech support staff, urgent assistance will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: How to forward an internal email to an external ema... - 24.Sep.2003 6:37:00 PM   
navtechsys

I am having the same problem with exchange 2000 using outlook 2000 as the email client. Outlook 2002 clients work fine. The strange part is that everything was working ok for months then one day we started having this problem with outlook 2000 clients. My local domain and the internet domain hosted outside of the company have the same name. However some useres do not exist on the local domain be cause they work offsite and only need the internet mail account. Now when we send mail to that user with outlook 2000 it says that the user does not exist. This use to work fine, Outlook would just use the POP account and send it. Nothing has changed and I can't find any info about it on the Microsoft site. I upgraded one client from Outlook 2000 to 2002 and it solved the problem.

(in reply to rtaqvi)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> How to forward an internal email to an external email address? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter