• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Using external ISP, changing reply to email address

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Using external ISP, changing reply to email address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using external ISP, changing reply to email address - 17.Feb.2004 8:13:00 PM   
Lexick

Hello all, Thanks ahead of time for any help.
I have a question concerning the use of an external ISP for incoming mail and how to configure the "reply to" address for my users.

I have a 2003 Small Business Server Installation.
I named the domain imaginationfactory.local

I am not hosting my own mail. I have it coming in from lastapple.com.

I configured the pop3 connector to go out and get the mail from lastapple.com for each user.

Here is an example of the way things work, what I want to fix, and what happens when I try to fix it.

I have a user - bob.
He opens his browser and logs onto our exchange server via the web.
He logs on using bob@imaginationfactory.local
He checks his mail - no problem.
He hits repy.
His reply to address is bob@imaginationfactory.local
Problem - no one can reply to him.
There is no one at imaginationfactory.local
I need bob's "reply to" address to be bob@lastapple.com.

What I tried...
1. I went into bob's user properties and changed his email address to bob@lastapple.com
But then he could not log on from the web.
So I changed it back and he could log in.
2. I went into bob's properties and - in the exchange tab - added an smtp email (bob@lastapple.com) and set it to primary.
Now bob could log in. And his "reply to" address is "bob@lastapple.com" - great!
Problem - bob cannot receive external emails - yahoo, hotmail etc. He can only receive emails from fellow internal exchange users. I do know that bob's emails are being pulled off the ISP's server. Because I log in to the web mail and see them. And then I tell the pop3 connector to go and get them, and then they are gone. But they never make it into bob's exchange inbox.

I am not having fun yet!

Any thoughts???

Am I even on the right path here?

The deal is that I don't want to host my site or my email. I don't need that security concern.
But I would like to utilize exchange. So I need it to pull down all incoming mail from an external ISP.
But in order for things to work, their email addresses have to reflect our external ISP - not our internal domain.

If there is a better way to do this - someone, please let me know!

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Using external ISP, changing reply to email address - 17.Feb.2004 10:55:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Hi Lexick,

The solution would be to rerun Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW) and specify your FQDN (lastapple.com) and not imaginationfactory.local.

Hope this helps !

(in reply to Lexick)
Post #: 2
RE: Using external ISP, changing reply to email address - 18.Feb.2004 12:15:00 AM   
Lexick

Thanks so much Henrik. I will try this asap.
If you can tell me...
1. Right now the user has to log in as user@imaginationfactory.local. As I said in my post, when I changed the users email address they could no longer log in. So I had to leave their existing address (user@imaginationfactory.local), add their user@lastapple.com address and set it to primary. Is this still the case? And is this the correct way to do this?
2. As a result of this change to the wizard, will I need to delete or rebuild or make any change to the users mailbox?
3. Where do I go to rerun the wizard?

(in reply to Lexick)
Post #: 3
RE: Using external ISP, changing reply to email address - 22.Mar.2004 10:09:00 AM   
ntharrison

Sorry not to be of any assistance but I am having exactly the same problem. I have come accross similar problems with Exchange 2k and remember one of my old colleagues did work it out to be some sort of internal security problem (like you didn't know that already), but for the life of me AI can't remember what it was and the guy has disappeared off the face of the planet. Pls let me know when you come up with an answer. I too will be spending all day tomorrow trying to work it out.

Noel.

(in reply to Lexick)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Using external ISP, changing reply to email address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter