• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

External mail not delivered to universal distribution groups

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> External mail not delivered to universal distribution groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
External mail not delivered to universal distribution g... - 19.Jul.2004 10:14:00 AM   
eckinator

Hi everyone,
whenever someone from outside sends mail to the SMTP address of a universal distribution group in my organization it simply disappears - these messages don't even show up in the message tracking center and there is no front end. I checked and the group is set to "accept messages from everyone" so I can rule that out. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
Eckehard
Post #: 1
RE: External mail not delivered to universal distributi... - 19.Jul.2004 5:58:00 PM   
mark@mvps.org

It's going back a bit and I seem to recall it being something to do with:
"Membership is not retrieved from remote domain controllers.
Membership modifications incur replication to the global catalog servers"
From: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839949
But I can't for sure recall exactly what the solution was. Have you got a flat domain or are you in a parent/child setup?

(in reply to eckinator)
Post #: 2
RE: External mail not delivered to universal distributi... - 19.Jul.2004 9:04:00 PM   
eckinator

Hi Mark,
glad to get an answer so soon - yip, mine is a one domain organization, nothing fancy. After setting up the AD something rather unpleasant happened (unfortunately it was already productive or I would have gone back) - the backup server died, I moved the disk set to another machine but there was a slight discrepancy in BIOS time which was enough to cause me some AD timing issues which I mostly fixed but I have a feeling the Infrastructure master may still not be functioning properly as I also have a problem resolving nested objects here: if I add a global security group to a universal distribution group, the members will not be resolved, displayed or entered in the GAL and Outlook will not expand the group either so there may be a bigger issue somewhere =(.
Thanks in advance
Eckehard
PS Message Tracking Center each time goes as far as Message Queued For Local Delivery and then stops - what conclusions can be drawn from that?

[ July 19, 2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Eckehard Wegner ]

(in reply to eckinator)
Post #: 3
RE: External mail not delivered to universal distributi... - 20.Jul.2004 3:33:00 AM   
Are any of your queues building up under "Queues" on any of your Exchange servers?

If you think the FSMO role "Infrastructure Master" is playing up, transfer the role to another DC, wait for a while and then transfer the role back again. Make sure to review the event logs for any errors of the role transfer.

(in reply to eckinator)
  Post #: 4
RE: External mail not delivered to universal distributi... - 20.Jul.2004 9:42:00 PM   
eckinator

Hi again,
negative on the queues - they stay quite empty... the messages simply seem to disappear.. the are queued but show up in no queue and no NDR is generated... this is pretty bizarre =(
Thanks again
Eckehard

(in reply to eckinator)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> External mail not delivered to universal distribution groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter