• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 - 29.Sep.2005 4:29:21 PM   
Hobbs13

We are very sporadically (2-4 times a month) receiving the following NDR.

"You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<mail1.company.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for Blah@BlahBlahBlah.com"

We only receive this message when trying to send to an outside internet address.
The funny thing about this is if you wait 30-40 minutes and re-send the SAME e-mail from the same workstation/account it goes through fine. Not only that, but you can send e-mail to that address and all other internet addresses for weeks and the issue may never come back.

Info about our Exchange setup….
Exchange 2000 SP3
Windows 2000 SP4
Operation Mode: Native
Single Front End Exchange Server
Two Node Active/Passive Cluster

Total Mailboxes: 910

This setup has been running this way for almost a year.
The NDR described above has been rearing its ugly head every few weeks for the last few months.
I am out of ideas and looking for a savior at this point. Any Ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 - 5.Oct.2005 8:20:17 PM   
modest911

From what I understand this is caused by your ISP not letting you relay the message through there server - Is there a fix - I am not sure I would like to know the answer to this also

(in reply to Hobbs13)
Post #: 2
RE: NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 - 15.Nov.2005 9:43:55 PM   
Hobbs13

BUMP!

This issue has only come back once since this post. (Sept 29th - Nov 15th) but I am still looking for ideas on how to stop it. Any other suggestions?

(in reply to modest911)
Post #: 3
RE: NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 - 22.Nov.2005 9:41:09 PM   
chicagotech

This may help. quoted from http://www.chicagotech.net/E-mail.htm

550 5.7.1 relaying denied - ip name lookup failed  Symptoms: when sending a mail to blin@mvps.org, you may receive undeliverable message like this:<mail.chicagotech.net> #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <blin@mvps.org>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed (x.x.x.x). Possible Causes:1. DNS lookup failed2. The sender of the message does not have the privileges required to complete delivery.3. You are trying to relay your mail through another SMTP server and it does not permit you to relay.4. The recipient might have mailbox delivery restrictions enabled. 5. Make sure you mail server is no on a spam list.6. If there are a lot errors and warning such as ID 104, 215 related to spam and virus in the Application Event Viewer of the Exchange server, you may need to restart the Exchange services.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com

(in reply to Hobbs13)
Post #: 4
RE: NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 - 24.Feb.2009 2:53:36 AM   
yapsan

Hobbs13, have you problem solved?
I am facing the same problem of you and mine is Exchange 2003 server with latest service pack and hotfix.
Slightly different from you is my Exchange server itself is also a Windows 2003 Domain Controller.

Any idea?
Appreciate for any reply

(in reply to chicagotech)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> NDR - smtp;550 5.7.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter