• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Opening Other User's Folders

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Opening Other User's Folders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Opening Other User's Folders - 12.Oct.2005 2:12:44 PM   
Ryan Foley

I have a problem that I've just about given up on trying to solve myself. I'm running Exchange 2003 on a mixed 2000/2003 server domain. Exchange is installed on a 2003 domain controller, the other domain controller being a 2000 server.

My problem deals with letting some users access other mailboxes. The main time this comes up is when an employee leaves the company and their calendar needs to be sorted out by someone else. I change the mailbox rights through the exchange advanced tab in Active Directory to give the user full mailbox access. But when that user tries to open the folder they have full rights to, Outlook gives an 'unable to display the folder' error.

I have also tried to give some people rights to open all mailboxes, which I do through the security properties of the storage group in the exchange system manager. This also doesn't have any effect.

So it should work, but it doesn't, and it's starting to drive me nuts :) Any help would be very much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 12.Oct.2005 3:04:05 PM   
consultOz

Ryan,
I assume you are setting the rights correctly, but still having the error,
have you seen this
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839531

Cheers
oz

Regards,
Oz Casey Dedeal
MVP (Exchange)
MCITP (EMA),MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA),
MCSE 2003 M+ S+, MCDST
Security+, Project+ ,Server+
http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog)
http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)

(in reply to Ryan Foley)
Post #: 2
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 12.Oct.2005 4:04:25 PM   
Ryan Foley

The permissions mentioned in that article are set correctly for Everyone.

If you would like, I can take screenshots of the permissions I created, maybe there's something simple I'm overlooking.

EDIT: I've also tried the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor fix by removing and readding SELF permissions.

< Message edited by Ryan Foley -- 12.Oct.2005 4:37:52 PM >

(in reply to consultOz)
Post #: 3
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 12.Oct.2005 5:36:28 PM   
Ryan Foley

Well I figured it out, it does have to do with msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor, but the 'SELF' hotfix did not solve the problem. I had to remove exchange attributes for the user, run the cleanup agent on the mailbox store, and then reconnect the mailbox. After that I was able to open the folder according to the permissions.

According to the Microsoft article with that fix, there is a script that can repair the problem for all the mailboxes, but you have to call Microsoft to get it. After being on the phone for about half an hour, I was told that I would have to pay the $250 incident fee to speak to a technician so I could get the script. Since that's outrageous, I'm going to have to do it manually for about 100+ accounts. I could make a macro to do it for me, but this is too important of a task to risk to macro automation.

(in reply to Ryan Foley)
Post #: 4
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 13.Oct.2005 2:09:59 PM   
JohnnyH

I had something similar with the msExchUserAccountControl not setting to 0.  I called Microsoft and paid the money and found out that I could do all accounts at once using ADModify.  There are three versions of ADModify, ADModify.NET(the one I used), ADModify1.6 and ADModify.

(in reply to Ryan Foley)
Post #: 5
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 24.Oct.2005 1:07:24 PM   
cpc101

Having the same issue.  Can you please provide the details on your fix, I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks!

(in reply to Ryan Foley)
Post #: 6
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 24.Oct.2005 1:23:53 PM   
JohnnyH

This is what we did:

Ran ADModify (.NET version)
Select the Domain
Select the DC
Press the Green button
Highlight the users
Click Next
Go to the Custom Tab
Go to Make a customized Attribute Modfication
msExchUserAccountControl
set it to 0
Pressed Go

(in reply to cpc101)
Post #: 7
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 24.Oct.2005 2:55:17 PM   
cpc101

Thanks Johnny H.  I waas actually replying to Ryan's "resolved" post.  We've just bugun our migration to Exch03 and I have a few mailboxes that I want to grant other users access to read.  Customer Care Center Associates monitor one mailbox for obvious reasons.

If I log into the shared account and grant users permission from the Outlook Client, it works just fine, but When I grant permission, it craps out with the "The Inbox folder could not be found." message.  Yeah, it works but is a sh177y way to manage a mailbox.

(in reply to JohnnyH)
Post #: 8
RE: Opening Other User's Folders - 19.Feb.2008 11:31:41 AM   
brumer0

Im a couple of years late: thanks JohnnyH. This fixed my issue as well.

(in reply to JohnnyH)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Opening Other User's Folders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter