• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 18.Oct.2005 4:30:45 PM   
youngcm2

We have a wildcard certificate set up on our ISA Server and and certificate
setup on our internal network for the front-end exchange server which host
the exchange active-sync. Is there a way on Windows Mobile 5.0 to tell it the
cert name is different than the cert on the exchange server, like in Outlook
where you specify the msstd:*.domain.com?

Thanks,
Chris
Post #: 1
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 18.Oct.2005 5:07:23 PM   
abdulzis

WM 5.0 does NOT support wildcard certificates of any kind.
Also unfortunately the Disable Certificate checking tool meant for WM 2003 doesn't work for WM 5.0

To disable certificate checking on WM 5.0 you might want to manually disable certificate checking by installing a 3rd party registry editor like Resco and changing the DWORD Value under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Activesync\Partners\[Secure] to 0

**Do this at your own risk***

AbdulAziz

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 2
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 19.Oct.2005 4:24:21 PM   
youngcm2

What would be a recommended configuration for a solution of this type?

Thanks,
Chris

(in reply to abdulzis)
Post #: 3
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 19.Oct.2005 4:29:49 PM   
abdulzis

For wildcards there is no solution except for disabling certificate checking on WM 5.0 so that the device doesn't care who the certificate is issued to.

AbdulAziz

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 4
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 19.Oct.2005 4:43:10 PM   
youngcm2

Should that secure key be in the partners root or under one of the CLASSIDs? I did not see it under either?

Thanks,
Chris

(in reply to abdulzis)
Post #: 5
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 25.Oct.2005 8:52:20 PM   
vx31337

abdulzis I have a device that uses MS Mob 5.0 are you certain that this change would have the same outcome as using the ms certchk tool for enabling and disabling this. and is there another way to edit this reg entry without using that program.

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 6
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 26.Oct.2005 4:40:33 PM   
LPC

quote:

ORIGINAL: abdulzis
To disable certificate checking on WM 5.0 you might want to manually disable certificate checking by installing a 3rd party registry editor like Resco and changing the DWORD Value under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Activesync\Partners\[Secure] to 0
**Do this at your own risk***

I have a feeling this is going to fix a problem I have with Exchange ActiveSync. Problem is I can't work out which key to change. The [Secure] I assume is the key for the Exchange bit which is fine but I can't work out which DWORD to set to 0 or should I create a new key in which case what should it be.

Thank you in advance.

(in reply to abdulzis)
Post #: 7
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 27.Oct.2005 6:01:46 PM   
abdulzis

After researching I found that the key is
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Airsync\Connection\Secure=0

AbdulAziz

(in reply to LPC)
Post #: 8
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 27.Oct.2005 6:02:11 PM   
npatang

I think that the key which abdulzis  has given for the disablecert is not correct .....
I am working on it and will be giving soon.
abdulzis if you can find the correct one then pls provide us..
Thanks in advance

Thanks
Npatang

(in reply to LPC)
Post #: 9
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 27.Oct.2005 6:07:34 PM   
youngcm2

There isn't an Airsync sub-key.

(in reply to npatang)
Post #: 10
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 27.Oct.2005 6:25:40 PM   
abdulzis

Sorry for the confusion.
I actually ran the disable cert check on a PPC 2003 emulator, Ran the remote registry editor in VS 2005 and found that tool adds this key to the PPC registry --->HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Airsync\Connection\Secure=0. But for 2005 its under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Activesync\Partners\

AbdulAziz

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 11
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 27.Oct.2005 6:31:54 PM   
youngcm2

That still does not work. I am getting the error Syncronization could not be completed. Try again later. Support code: 0x80072f17. I can go to OWA on the device.

(in reply to abdulzis)
Post #: 12
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 28.Oct.2005 12:26:49 AM   
vx31337

so whats the latest is changing this key not disabling the certificates ?

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 13
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 28.Oct.2005 11:53:33 AM   
abdulzis

Not this one HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Airsync\Connection. This is for PPC2003.
This one HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Activesync\Partners\ is for WM 5.0

AbdulAziz

(in reply to vx31337)
Post #: 14
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 29.Oct.2005 3:42:13 AM   
LPC

No joy putting that key in the reg. Same error as before :(. OWA and OMA both work securely no probs.

(in reply to abdulzis)
Post #: 15
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 29.Oct.2005 10:50:38 AM   
donaldsmarshall

just got an upgrade for my IPAQ and I have the same issue, because its a selfsinged cert I cant sync, OMA works fine other than a warning, I even tried importing the certificate, no luck there :(

UPDATE: Just got it to work (well sort of)

heres what I did, I exported my self certificate from the server and then imported it to the PDA using the HP Utility and rebooted.
I then tried syncing - no luck
Changed the server name to the IP and it connected, but gave an error about the certificate being "Wrong name"
changed it back - and I got a 8range error.
so I unticked all 4 boxes, and sync'd locally - worked
I then unticked the 4 exchange options from the local sync list and sync without them there.
I then added Tasks - worked,
Added Email Worked - resync with the folder selections I wanted.
Added Contact - Worked,
Added Calender Failed with 80070490 error.

So I now have a way to get my emails but not the calender, atleast its a start. If anyone has any ideas on the calender side i would be most greatful,  I hope my instructions help someone else get this working, give me a shout if you need clarification on any point its 11pm and I am tired :)

< Message edited by donaldsmarshall -- 29.Oct.2005 5:51:17 PM >

(in reply to LPC)
Post #: 16
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 31.Oct.2005 12:38:06 AM   
vx31337

so how are we looking, anybody got good news on this yet ?

i am badly in need of a way to disable the certs on my ppc 6700 so I can some work done.

if anybody has a solution that actually works, please post.

(in reply to donaldsmarshall)
Post #: 17
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 31.Oct.2005 2:21:36 AM   
donaldsmarshall

vx31337 did the workaround I posted not work for you? whats the exact code you get? i think I have figured some of them out. thanks

(in reply to vx31337)
Post #: 18
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 31.Oct.2005 10:26:24 AM   
youngcm2

This shouldn't be that difficult. Why is outlook built to be able to handle this but pocket outlook not?

(in reply to donaldsmarshall)
Post #: 19
RE: Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 - 31.Oct.2005 10:27:09 AM   
LPC

It's crazy isn't it ... someone out there must have a fix for this ? :D

Come on google bring them here :).

(in reply to youngcm2)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Using wildcard certificates with Windows Mobile 5.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter