Brightmail from symantec (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons

gsherman -> Brightmail from symantec (23.Nov.2005 5:44:24 PM)

Anybody using symantec brightmail w antivirus for exchange. I am looking to compare it to the Standard AV for exchange 4.6 corporate.

Messy -> RE: Brightmail from symantec (25.Nov.2005 4:56:09 PM)

Don;t use it but have evaluated and it's good.  Hotmail uses it I think?

Money Penny -> RE: Brightmail from symantec (5.Jan.2006 5:26:32 AM)

I know this message is a bit old now but I have experience with both products so thought it worthwhile putting in my experiences.

Symantec Mail Security 4.6 has a feature called Premium AntiSpam which you pay extra for and is basically the BrightMail engine integrated into Mail Security.

BrightMail 6.0x is a standalone product that's main purpose is Spam filtering but also does email Antivirus filtering using the Symantec definitions and engines.

The advantage of running BrightMail is that it has more administration features, logging and reporting.  However it requires Tomcat Application Server and MySQL so there is a greater footprint on your server and more systems to look after, more points of failure, etc.  Patching BrightMail is a real head spinner too, as you have to download zip files, read the readme then shutdown the right services, put the files into the correct folders, overwriting the old ones, then start services again, etc.  This could be done so easily with a patch installer, not sure why they have not fixed that.

Premium AntiSpam does the same filtering as BrightMail and is easier to configure.  The Antivirus side of things Mail Security is much better and provides more control, etc.  You can actually do a bit more to the Spam messages with Mail Security than BrightMail i.e. change the subject AND place it in a folder, etc, where with BrightMail you can do one or the other only.

Quarantine is the other advantage that BrightMail has over Mail Security, but the situation where this would be ideal (remote users) is not that easy to get working securely so again it is probably a non issue.

If you run Exchange 2003 then both products use the IMF and Outlook (or OWA) Junk mail filtering to place Spam into folders.  However this is a real mess as you get spam going into the Junk Mail folder which the BrightMail Outlook toolbar does not work with (it uses it's own Spam folder).  If you are not worried about foldering then Mail Security is the way to go I think from an administration perspective.  I just wish they had a foldering agent like they did with Exchange 2000.  You also may get Outlook putting emails into Junk Mail that are not considered Spam by BrightMail (higher false positives than is desirable).

I think it is a mistake by Symantec to use the IMF and Junk mail filters for foldering and I am battling with them over it as I write this (on hold for support once again).

Having said that the BrightMail filtering is second to none in my experience, and once they resolve the Junk Mail folder issues then Mail Security will be a great product.

Page: [1]