• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problems Post- 2003 Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Problems Post- 2003 Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 11.Dec.2005 11:30:59 PM   
Orbital

Hi People,

Can anyone tell me why my users are having problems retrieving PF items since my recent 2000 migration?  I moved all PF's onto my new 2003 box and, once all users had been moved over, removed the 2000 replicas and switched the services off.  Now users make five attempts, with the information bar displaying an attempt to retrieve from my old 2000 box, before thay fail and pickup data from my new 2003 server.  As soon as I restart the Information Store service on the old 2000 box, everythng returns to normal.  OL User profiles are also pointing to the old box with this service stopped.

Any help or advice most appreciated.

Orb.
Post #: 1
RE: Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 12.Dec.2005 4:57:46 PM   
kraven3d

Orb,
Sorry to bother you, but I am running into close to the same situation.  I have replicated my PF from an Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 box, and my users can get to the files.  However, when I try to dismount the old PF store, no one can get to anything.

Was there a particular tutorial or article that you followed during the process?  I followed the steps here for installing Exchange 2003 then the also setting up the replica.  However, the folders I created for my MBX & PF documents remain empty.  The old mailserver still has all of the folders and keeps getting populated with new documents.  Do I need to right click on the old mailserver and tell it to "move all replica's"? in order for the new server to be used as the storage device?

How do I tell ESM where the new storage folders are?  I have read an article on moving the database, which I have done, and the database and streaming file are now located there.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 13.Dec.2005 10:56:20 AM   
Orbital

Hi There Kraven,

I followed a couple of articles to migrate over to Ex2K3.  The main one I used was an MSExchange.org article by David Fosbenner, "Step-by-Step: Migrating Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 Using New Hardware" (http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html).  The article was well written and comprehensive, and seemed fairly logical.  This article referenced a MS document "How to remove the first Exchange Server computer from the site" (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917&Product=exch2k).  I followed both these articles to the letter and am still encuntering the problems I mentioned earlier :o(

With regard to your particular problems, it doesn't sound like there's been any PF replication from old to new.  Have a look at the MSExchange article I mentioned a minute ago,
"Step-by-Step: Migrating Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 Using New Hardware" (http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html) and see if there's anything you've missed.  Specifically, I'd first look at point 1, 2, 3 and 4 in section V.  These may help you with your PF migration.

Hope this helps,
Orb.

(in reply to kraven3d)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 13.Dec.2005 3:24:16 PM   
kraven3d

Thanks for the info Orbital.  I looked at those articles as well.  I did end up going through them step by step and made sure everything was set properly.  I also found an article about "Using PFMIGRATE" on msexchange to ensure everything was set properly.  Using it, I found a few folders that we not set to replicate.  I did this and desided to dismount the PF store.

So far everything is going well on it.  I have not thought about dismounting my mailstore to see if that is set.  I try to take one step at a time with these things.

In regards to your issue.  Does the event viewer on either server or any of the clients return an error?  I know that OMA was not working on my machine and it gave me step by step ideas on how to fix the issue.

Does the screen display anything in particular or is it just requesting the u/p combo 5 times then returns the correct results?  You probably have, but have you checked your routing group in ESM and specified the new server as your master?  Not sure if that helps with anything but just thought I would ask.

Let me know when you can and I'll try to see if I can find anything to help out.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 14.Dec.2005 10:27:41 AM   
Orbital

Hi Kraven,

Thanks for your comments, I think you may have jolted me toward my solution.  I initially steered clear of using PFMIGRATE during my initial migration- not entirely sure why?  Anyway, I used PFMIGRATE and, sure enough, I still had some folders being displayed on my old server, despite what my ESM was telling me!  I ran a couple of PFMIGRATE's to sync. and clean things up and am waiting for some user feedback on my results.  Hopefully, all will be okay now.

Thanks for the advice Kraven, top drawer.

Orb :o)

(in reply to kraven3d)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems Post- 2003 Migration - 14.Dec.2005 3:34:19 PM   
kraven3d

No problem at all Orb.  Hopefully it will work out.  I went through every PF I had and saw the same thing, all pointed to the new server.  However several people were reporting issues opening PF's through OWA (pointed back to the old server).  I ran PFMIGRATE and it pointed to several folders that were not on the new server.  I dismounted the store and so far everything has been running smoothly.

Hopefully this will be your experience as well.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Problems Post- 2003 Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter