• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 2003 SP2 server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 2003 SP2 server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 2003 SP... - 21.Dec.2005 2:45:16 PM   
mako

Does anyone know how I can safely delete a PF store in Exchange 2003 sp2?

(As recommended by MS in the security hardening guide for front end servers)

Now I know that MS have added a safety mechanism in sp2 to stop you accidentally deleting public folders; however they haven't got as far as updating the documentation on the MS website... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3SecHardGuide/226dbfa1-a75c-4d01-bdde-14321b22b743.mspx

The website states that you should dismount a PF or MBX store before deleting it; Ex2003 SP2 won't let you do this and gives you a message telling you that Exchange cannot determine if it is safe to delete the store while it is offline (sounds sensible enough to me).

However, when you bring a PF store online and try to delete it you get a different message; you cannot delete this PF store because it contains replicas, use move all replicas to move the folders to a different server.

You get this even though the store only contains the bare minimum of four folders; globalevents, internal, OWAScrathPad, StoreEvents (all system folders).

Running the move all appears to remove the folders (they go from "Public Folders") but they remain in the instances folder and this stops the PF store being deleted.

Post #: 1
RE: Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 200... - 21.Dec.2005 2:58:24 PM   
mako

Well after connecting to the server from a second machine running System Manager it has finally allowed me to remove the Public Folder store!

(in reply to mako)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 200... - 9.Jan.2006 5:59:55 PM   
dwesterhouse

I have run into this same issue. Created a seperate Public Folder Tree in a "Not the first Admin Group Installed" and associated a new public folder store only to find out that Outlook will not work with it. (Outlook apparently will only work with the original MAPI PFT, and will not see any additional PFT you create cause there can be only one MAPI PFT in any given Exchange Organization).

Have you run into any "after effects" from deleting the PF in htis fashion? Did you have an ESM at Sp1 or was it the same Sp level as the Exchange server? Any response would be appreciated.

(in reply to mako)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 200... - 9.Jan.2006 6:32:50 PM   
mako

ESM was also SP2.

I had this installed in a virtual server environment for testing, so could not really speak of "after effects".

I can say however, that I had no issues during testing following the removal of the Public Folder store.

The store I deleted was for the default PF tree.

Regards,

Dan.

(in reply to dwesterhouse)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 200... - 10.Jan.2006 6:37:27 AM   
sacdew

Hello,

before doing this i hope you back up the data. if you are prepared to delete the public folder permantly,
you can do delete using ADSI interface.

(in reply to mako)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Cannot delete public folder store from Exchange 2003 SP2 server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter