• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Need advice...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Need advice... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Need ad... - 26.Dec.2005 1:19:15 AM   
apsinkus

THough my company is soon to hit 50-employee mark, our IT shop has very small (on-demand) budget.
Our guys depend on Exchange, our Exchange server is our main communication point.
Lately I had some issues win Exchange 2000 and upgraded to 2003.

Now I want to put together server cluster of two exchange servers. 5-minute downtime in the middle of the day can cost me my job, though IT is only 5% of my job.

That all said, I am looking or a buget SCSI or SATA storage subsystem for my 2-node cluster. Any advice? No I don't have a budget in mind at this point. The closer to $0, the better.

Another note, though I have only 50 boxes, mailboxes and public folders are already 7Gigs.
Post #: 1
RE: Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Nee... - 27.Dec.2005 3:56:54 PM   
khowlette

Hi

Clustering is never going to work on a small budget.  You need some shared storage and hardware thats supported.

Get management buy in to your porposals.  If you can present the facts and options and try and show how much money they loose if exchange is down it quite often changes their objections to budget constraints.

One option you may consider but I wouldn't use it myself in production only in a lab is VMWare.  If you have plenty of memory and some fast processors you can implement it under one physical machine with two virtual mahines.  I set it up for learning clustering and it works but its one big single point of failure.

Keith

(in reply to apsinkus)
Post #: 2
RE: Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Nee... - 27.Dec.2005 4:19:34 PM   
apsinkus

Funny you mentioned Virtual Server. We were talking to Microsoft and looks like Virtual Server R2 support Exchange 2003 to be hosted in a Virtual Server.
With that kind of setup I would probably put one VS on each of the two big servers we have and put Exchange filestores somewhere else.

(in reply to khowlette)
Post #: 3
RE: Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Nee... - 29.Dec.2005 6:43:14 PM   
BeTaCam

SPECS On Virtualization.

Max Quad processors with Hyperthreading capability and 4 GB of RAM
Disk Spindles on RAID10 on the Server or on a Shared SCSI Storage.

The Virtualization concept is based on memory assigned to a thread pool and the response of the underlying disk subsystem that emulates the disk(s) mounted ont he Exchange server.

Hth

/BC

(in reply to apsinkus)
Post #: 4
RE: Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Nee... - 29.Dec.2005 9:45:39 PM   
Exchange_Admin

You made the following statements:
"5-minute downtime in the middle of the day can cost me my job"
"The closer to $0, the better."

As was said earlier, clustering is not cheap. If you try to implement a CHEAP clustering solution then there will be a greater chance of issues that will cause downtime.

(in reply to BeTaCam)
Post #: 5
RE: Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Nee... - 29.Dec.2005 10:22:47 PM   
apsinkus

"The closer to $0, the better." is my trademark phrase. IT is only 5% of my job, I have run small businesses almost my entire career, so large $ is not in my dictionary.

That said, I am very much a fan of the fact that Virtual Server R2 is now supporting Exchange. I was not ready to buy new servers just for Exchange.
So look like I might be able to wing something with two virtual servers (on two separate systems) and an external storage array.

Another thought I had was to use that iSCSI software I have seen mentioned and just connect up to my good (and well backed-up) file server. That would be the cheapest solution for now.

As I mentioned before, I have only 50 people to support and they realize that we are a small shop. I don't care if exchange is not blazin fast, I care that it is up anytime they need to reach it. If it has to be down at 4AM, that is fine.

(in reply to Exchange_Admin)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Budget SCSI/SATA subsystem for 2-node Exchange. Need advice... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter