• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Out of disk space

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Out of disk space Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Out of disk space - 4.Jan.2006 4:08:17 PM   
buch

client of my is out of disk space and exchange5.5 had stopped working. win2000 and exchange 5.5. where do i start? Am thinking adding a new larger disk and running the optimizer. Any best practices and tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Out of disk space - 4.Jan.2006 4:25:13 PM   
buch

for the time been am going through the disater recovery document

(in reply to buch)
Post #: 2
RE: Out of disk space - 5.Jan.2006 10:12:42 AM   
zbnet

That's a good start.

Is it the db volume that's run out of space, or the transaction log volume?

If the latter, you can just hack the resgistry to point the logs to the other drive, and move the logs over to the other drive (assuming it has enough space).  That should allow Exchange to restart.  Then you can do a successful online backup to purge the logs away.  I'd then use performance analyzer to move the logs back to their original volume (away from the dbs) - but perf analyzer stops the services, so do it out of normal business hours.

Then it's time to work out why your online backups have been failing (which would have been purging the transaction logs after backing them up to tape), and asking the questions like 'Who should have been checking the backups every morning and wasn't?', and 'Why haven't I got a monitoring utility that tells me when the disk reaches 90% utlisation so that I can fix the problem before the server dies?'.

(in reply to buch)
Post #: 3
RE: Out of disk space - 2.Feb.2006 7:30:52 PM   
migzzz

i'm running into the same problem (disk Space) and have followed instructions on how "Moving Exchange Message Stores and Transaction Logs to an Alternate Drive "
As seen below:

In the Exchange Server Administrator program, click to expand the Site container, click to expand the Configuration container, and then click to expand the Servers container.

Click to select the server that you want to modify.

On the File menu, click Properties.

Click the Properties tab, and then click Database Paths. On the Database Paths tab, the current folders and their locations are displayed.

Click to select the item that you want to move.

Click Modify to open Directory Database Move window.

In the Path box, enter the new path. After Exchange Server stops the appropriate services, move the files that you selected, and then restart the services.

But after doing the above steps i get an error message and the move is unsuccessful? :(
I can not remember the exact message that is displayed, but i feel that there is a problem with my database (priv) and i get the error message in return.

Can someone tell me the common error message they might get when doing the steps above.  Perhaps i can point out the error message i'm getting from their own list.

HELP Please.

Thanks.

Migzzz

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 4
RE: Out of disk space - 2.Feb.2006 9:02:10 PM   
buch

thanks! I'll be working on it

(in reply to migzzz)
Post #: 5
RE: Out of disk space - 3.Feb.2006 2:15:17 AM   
migzzz

OK... I decided to try and move my priv and pub files to another drive, since i was running out of space on the exsisting one.
I followed the steps above on how to move them and at the end of the process i get the below error message:

DATA ERROR (CYCLIC REDUNDANCY CHECK)
MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT
ID NO: 0xc0020017

Can anyone here till me what that error message means???
Because of that error message, it will not allow me to move the database files to another location.

Any HELP would do.

(in reply to buch)
Post #: 6
RE: Out of disk space - 3.Feb.2006 10:26:27 AM   
zbnet

To be perfectly honest with you, I prefer the Performance Optimizer method of moving the database files (second option in KB257766), I believe it's less error-prone and more robust - thus it is always my recommended way of doing this.

(in reply to migzzz)
Post #: 7
RE: Out of disk space - 3.Feb.2006 7:49:03 PM   
migzzz

Thanks Zdnet.
I'll try the below instructions regarding moving the exchange database files below:

On This Page

SUMMARY

MORE INFORMATION

Moving Exchange Server Folders Using the Exchange Server Administrator Program

Moving Microsoft Exchange Server Folders Using Performance Optimizer

APPLIES TO
SUMMARY
In some cases, you may want to move the Exchange Server folders that contain databases or log files to different drives or locations. This article discusses how to use either the Exchange Server Administrator program or Performance Optimizer (Perfwiz.exe) to move these folders to another location.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
Before you move files and folders, back up your server.

Back to the top
Moving Exchange Server Folders Using the Exchange Server Administrator ProgramIf you use the Exchange Server Administrator program to move the database paths, make sure that the new database path exists before you attempt the move, or the following error message is displayed:
The specified path is not valid or is incomplete or is not local or does not exist. Specify a valid path name. (i.e. C:\Exchsrvr\Dsadata) To move the folder paths:

In the Exchange Server Administrator program, click to expand the Site container, click to expand the Configuration container, and then click to expand the Servers container.

Click to select the server that you want to modify.

On the File menu, click Properties.

Click the Properties tab, and then click Database Paths. On the Database Paths tab, the current folders and their locations are displayed.

Click to select the item that you want to move.

Click Modify to open Directory Database Move window.

In the Path box, enter the new path. After Exchange Server stops the appropriate services, move the files that you selected, and then restart the services.NOTE: You cannot select the root of the drive.

After you create the new path, if you attempt to move logs to a drive or disk that does not have enough space, the following error message is displayed:
There is not enough disk space to move name_of_your_selection. In addition, any subsequent moves are not processed. The list is processed from the top to bottom. The change is displayed until you click Cancel.

Back to the top
Moving Microsoft Exchange Server Folders Using Performance OptimizerThe Exchange Server Performance Optimizer utility (Perfwiz.exe) is located in the Exchsrvr\Bin folder. To move folders by using Performance Optimizer:

Start Performance Optimizer. A welcome dialog box that warns that the services will be stopped is displayed. Click Next to stop the services.

When the System Parameters Setting dialog box is displayed, which contains the existing parameters of your Exchange Server computer, click Next. The Performance Optimizer begins analyzing your hard disk. (This can be a time consuming step.)

When the following message is displayed, click Next:
Disk analysis has completed. Click Next to continue.

A list of the Exchange Server components, their current location, and their suggested location are displayed.

To move a folder, in Suggested Location, enter the location that you want to use. Make sure that no other path has been changed.

IMPORTANT: You must pay close attention to the Current Location and Suggested Location boxes. Performance Optimizer moves files to drives based on specific criteria. It changes the Suggested Locations setting for folders.

Click Next.

Microsoft recommends that you select the Move files Automatically option. If you choose the Move files Automatically option, the files are moved when you click Next. If you do not choose this option, you need to manually move the files before you start the services. Click Next.

The final Performance Optimizer dialog box confirms that the changes were made successfully and gives you the option to start the services:

If you selected the Move files Automatically option to allow Performance Optimizer to move the files, start the services.

If you chose to manually move the files, click to select the Do Not Start these Services check box, move the files to the folder that you specified, and then start the services (in Control Panel, double-click Services).NOTE: If your Exchange server is clustered using Microsoft Clustering Services, please use this article instead:
278464 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278464/EN-US/) Changing the Exchange Server Database Paths on a Cluster[exchange]

Back to the top

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 8
RE: Out of disk space - 6.Feb.2006 2:41:38 PM   
zbnet

Why do you feel it necessary to keep posting the verbatim text of the KB articles we refer to?

(in reply to migzzz)
Post #: 9
RE: Out of disk space - 6.Feb.2006 3:25:33 PM   
migzzz

quote:

ORIGINAL: zbnet

Why do you feel it necessary to keep posting the verbatim text of the KB articles we refer to?

My apology zbnet
I just thought that the instructions might be helpful to someone.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 10
RE: Out of disk space - 6.Feb.2006 3:31:49 PM   
migzzz

I was successful moving my pub file to another drive location using optimizer, but was unsuccessful moving my priv.
I'm getting the error message "The File(s) could not be moved. The source or destination may not valid or files with the same name could not be overwritten -(800FF326)"

Can someone please help...

I was told to:
1.Check that the new drive has no data on it.
2.Check that the existing single drive has nothing else put the PF on it.
3.Check that you have at least 4GB of free space on the TEMP drive.
4.You may need to defrag the PF to get it to move over.

Is this all true?
Does #1. & 2. making since???

And #4., should the defrag be done on my exisi location or the new drive?

Help :(

MiGzzz

(in reply to migzzz)
Post #: 11
RE: Out of disk space - 7.Feb.2006 4:00:13 PM   
zbnet

Yes, 1 makes sense - it sounds like the files used to be on this other drive before.  What is the history of this server?  Obviously there needs to be enough room on the drive you are moving the files to.

How big are the current files?  look for priv.edb, pub.edb, and any edb*.log files you find.  Then work out whether there is enough space on your destination drive.

If you're struggling understanding the components of the Exchange database, where they go, and how they relate to one another, you need to read the DR whitepaper that covers all this info:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/support/exdisrec.mspx

(in reply to migzzz)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Out of disk space Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter