• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise - 10.Jan.2006 10:50:15 PM   
mannyg3

I have proposed an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Server and have explained to the customer that Enterprise is necessary due to them wanting multiple databases.

Another consultant is telling them that this is possible with MS Exchange 2003 Standard. Am I overlooking something?

The customer wants the ability to have multiple email domains. This is only possible with Enterprise? No? Thank you...

Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise - 11.Jan.2006 3:26:53 AM   
Exchange_Admin

Exchange (standard or enterprise) can receive mail for multiple domains.

Check this out:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822440/en-us

From the above link:
Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
Exchange 2003 Standard Edition is designed to meet the messaging and collaboration requirements of small and medium corporations and for specific messaging server roles or branch offices.

Four storage groups can be created on a server

One mailbox store database and one public folder store database that can be accessed by using MAPI and Outlook Web Access

Up to four more public folder store databases that are only accessible programmatically

Maximum 16-gigabyte (GB) database limit per database (75 GB with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2)

Exchange clustering is not supported

X.400 connector is not included
Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise EditionExchange 2003 Enterprise Edition is designed for large enterprise corporations. With Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition, you can create multiple storage groups and multiple databases. Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition provides an unlimited message store that removes the constraints on how much data a single server can manage.

Four storage groups

Five databases per storage group

16 terabyte database limit, limited only by hardware

Exchange clustering is supported

X.400 connector is included

(in reply to mannyg3)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise - 11.Jan.2006 4:24:35 PM   
de.blackman

You will need to install the enterprise version if you are wanting multiple databases/storage groups. I am guessing you are planning a hosted environment.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Exchange_Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise - 11.Jan.2006 4:37:15 PM   
cheeminlee

quote:

ORIGINAL: mannyg3

I have proposed an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Server and have explained to the customer that Enterprise is necessary due to them wanting multiple databases.
Answer: Yes, only Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition will allow you to create multiple Storage Groups and multiple databases.  In addition, database size has no logical limits (eg. if you start scaling Exchange mailbox to infinity you will run into CPU or Windows 2003 32bit memory limitation as well as physical storage limitations.)

Another consultant is telling them that this is possible with MS Exchange 2003 Standard. Am I overlooking something?

The customer wants the ability to have multiple email domains. This is only possible with Enterprise? No? Thank you...
Answer: No, you can have multiple email domains on Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition.  There is no limit to how many domains you can assign to any of the Exchange server editions.

(in reply to mannyg3)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 Standard vs. Enterprise Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter