• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Office replies

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Office replies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Office ... - 18.Jan.2006 12:29:11 PM   
mjwigham

We have a mail enabled public folder, and we send out weekly mailers from that folder's address.

We aren't getting people's out-of-office replies back in the PF, but if I e-mail the address we sent from, internally and externally,
it goes into the PF.

This leaves me confused, no reply-to address is specified, so I don't understand how normal e-mails get to the PF but Out-of-office's do not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Post #: 1
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 22.Aug.2007 11:03:23 AM   
akjump

Mark,

Any news on this? Ddid you find a fix, or workaround to the problem?

We are having the same issue!

Rregards,
Andy

(in reply to mjwigham)
Post #: 2
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 23.Aug.2007 3:57:02 PM   
uemurad

Are you sure you should be getting the OOF messages?  Search Message Tracking for signs that they reached your server.  If the other system is Exchange, they can block outbound OOF messages.  Also, you only get one OOF message delivered to each sending address until it's been turned off.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to akjump)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 24.Aug.2007 3:56:39 AM   
akjump

The email addresses are all internal addresses to the company and therefore on the same Exchange server.

I changed my own system to have OOF message. Then got a colleague to send me an email...although I received the email, my colleague received the OOF reply.

Using code within our software from my colleague to myself does the same things, but when the from address is the Mail Enabled Public Folder it does not!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 24.Aug.2007 11:40:52 AM   
uemurad

quote:

Using code within our software from my colleague to myself does the same things, but when the from address is the Mail Enabled Public Folder it does not!
Please elaborate - what code are you talking about?  Did you write your own add-in or event sink?

quote:

The email addresses are all internal addresses to the company and therefore on the same Exchange server.
The OOF messages should still appear in Message Tracking.  In the meantime, I'm searching to see if PFs are supposed to receive OOF messages.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to akjump)
Post #: 5
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 24.Aug.2007 12:09:06 PM   
akjump

The code is written using Progress Software.  The code is used by a large number of Progress software companies.  It writes email messages by opening a connection to the SMTP mail server and then sending the mail with specified from and to addresses, along with many of the other required properties!

It works fine under all other circumstances I have come across.  Just this one seems to be a problem!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 24.Aug.2007 1:33:08 PM   
uemurad

Is the code processing messages coming into the PF?  If so, I suggest you look at the code to see if you are specifically doing something with the OOF messages.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to akjump)
Post #: 7
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 28.Aug.2007 4:11:49 AM   
akjump

Tthe public folder is for our internal servicedesk management of emails.  It is setup as a mail enabled public folder with an email address that is only picked up by the public folder.

Our internal software (written in Progress) can send mail internal from one user to the next (e.g. "Person A" creates order, and email sent to sales co-ordinator "Person B").  On this occasion the email which is created by the code is from "Person A" to "Person B".

However, there are some other parts of the software where the from person is not required, and therefore is sent from the "ServiceDesk" email address (linked to the PF).

If "Person B" is the recipient in both of the above examples, the OOF reply is sent back to "Person A", but not to "ServiceDesk"!!

I think Exchange must ignore OOF messages when set against a PF, but there does not seem to be any documentation on the subject to either confirm or deny this theory!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Off... - 19.Feb.2008 11:56:59 PM   
afyodorov

Guys, I am pretty sure there is an article that says that PFs do not process receipts by design (the receipts just disappear).

OOF is kind of like a receipt, so this is what is probably going on.

Try a test - send a message with delivery receipt or read receipt request from a PF. I am pretty sure that the receipt will never show up in the PF.

(in reply to mjwigham)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Mail Enabled Public Folder not receiving Out-of-Office replies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter