• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MMC Snap-In - No extra AD C&U Tabs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MMC Snap-In - No extra AD C&U Tabs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MMC Sn... - 28.Jan.2006 12:02:07 AM   
AdamHolmes

Alright, so here goes:

I just installed Exchange Server 2003 for the first time in my domain. I installed it on a domain server, but not a domain controller. I think I made a mistake because I ran the forestprep from a non-domain controller. I ran the domainprep from a domain controller, however, as I stated above, this is the same machine that is going to be the exchange server. I actually searched on how to confirm domainprep & forestprep's installs went through and the attributes were there. I have two things I need to ask:

First-- I expected to be able to see the exchange related tabs on all of my existing users and the only account that has the exchange tabs are my own account which I installed Exchange with. This is viewed directly from the exchange server. I would like to know if there is some kind of migration tool or a checkbox I am missing that will allow me to exchange-enable these existing user accounts (Win2k3 Native Domain, btw). When I create a new, fake user this user does have the exchange tabs in their properties. Now, when I view myself or a new user from any other machine, be it a domain controller or my own workstation in AD U&C I don't have the exchange tabs at all. Do I need to install something on either of these machines to be able to see these tabs?

Second-- I would like to administer my Exchange server from my workstation and I don't seem to have the snap-in loaded on my machine(duh!). I've been looking all over for something to download to install them, but I have found nothing. Please help!
Post #: 1
RE: n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MM... - 28.Jan.2006 4:21:25 PM   
Henrik Walther

Each server or client from which you want to administer user specific Exchange options in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in needs to have the Exchange 2003 System Management tools installed.

To administer mail-enabled users from a client, see below KB article:

What to consider when you install Exchange System Management Tools on Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834121

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to AdamHolmes)
Post #: 2
RE: n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MM... - 28.Jan.2006 6:00:35 PM   
AdamHolmes

Ok, cool, I figured out how to install the snap-in via the CD. I guess I just missed it the first 10 times I went through it all, but that still leaves me with the question of how my existing user objects will gain the exchane attributes in their properties?

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 3
RE: n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MM... - 1.Feb.2006 5:51:30 PM   
AdamHolmes

Nevermind, duh, have to run them through Exchange Tasks and then apply the default policy again.

Thanks!

(in reply to AdamHolmes)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> n00b question. New Exchange Install, Workstation MMC Snap-In - No extra AD C&U Tabs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter