• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Backup Failure

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Backup Failure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Backup Failure - 2.Feb.2006 8:55:45 PM   
mcdivit

I can't get NT Backup to work with Exchange server.

I get the error:
SBS1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

The Exchange database lives on the D: drive and SBS lives on the C: drive.

When I write the regime if I manually select the data store by tunneling through the driectories to the database location it will backup OK, just not when I use the backup wizard to select the data store.

I am writing an Incremental routine.

I am backing up to a Powervault NAS. My other backup regimes work fine to the same location with the same credentials, System state, User Profiles....

Any help appreciated

Post #: 1
RE: Backup Failure - 3.Feb.2006 2:57:08 PM   
pjhutch

Does the account you use to backup with have full exchange admin rights?

(in reply to mcdivit)
Post #: 2
RE: Backup Failure - 3.Feb.2006 6:46:45 PM   
mcdivit

I got bad advice from Microsoft phone support. I was told that an incremental backup would, on its first run, create a full backup, and then on subsequent runs append an incremental backup to the original.

WRONG !

According to Microsoft Article ID 255530: "The backup type is set to incremental or differential and the database has never had a full backup".

I was unable to find this article through any search related to the NT backup errors, but did find it by searching a related error in the event log, an ESE 206 error.

I am still unclear how to set up an incremental backup. There is a dearth of information on configuration. For incremental I am assuming I shoud write a regime that creates a normal backup say once per week. I would then write another regime that saves to the same file name, but is an incremental backup and runs daily. Does this sound right?

If anyone could point me to a book or comprehensive articel on NT backup I would be grateful.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Backup Failure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter