• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Max volume size

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Max volume size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Max volume size - 6.Feb.2006 7:08:15 PM   
MillMaster

What is the maximum volume size for a Small Biz Edition Exchange server? We ran out of room the other day, and I was told that SBE has a limit to how much data it will really store? What is the best solution for this problem if indeed we hit our limit for that license? 
Post #: 1
RE: Max volume size - 6.Feb.2006 10:01:19 PM   
Henrik Walther

If you mean the limit on the Exchange database, then it's 16GB until you apply Exchange 2003 SP2 which bumps it to 18GB. But up to 75GB is supported with SP2, for details on how you change the limit see below article:

Explaining the Database size limit changes in Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to MillMaster)
Post #: 2
RE: Max volume size - 6.Feb.2006 11:09:42 PM   
MillMaster

Ok, so we only had sp1, so if we install SP 2 and edit the registry to up the size to 75, is it pointless to force everyone to clean out their mailboxes so we can remount the database? My boss seems to think that we cant just install the SP, edit the registry and walk away.

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 3
RE: Max volume size - 7.Feb.2006 12:01:03 AM   
Exchange_Admin

As Henrik said it is just that easy.
As always make sure that you have a good backup prior to applying the service pack.

"is it pointless to force everyone to clean out their mailboxes so we can remount the database?"
Well yes and no.
It is always good to force your users to do some housekeeping. The reason why is that the larger the stores get then the longer it takes to back them up. And also longer to restore in the event of a disaster. End users tend to treat email systems as a large filing cabinet. End users never want to delete things. They want to keep that joke that was sent to them 4 years ago.

Just my 2 cents worth.

(in reply to MillMaster)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Max volume size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter