• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Single instance question?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Single instance question? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Single instance question? - 14.Feb.2006 2:00:06 PM   
hddcrasher

I am Running ex2003 enterprise. I have only the default first storage group with default Private and Public information stores. If I create a new private store in first storage group and move half my mailboxes there, will I lose single instance storage to the messages common to the 2 private stores?

The reason I ask is I want to keep the information stores about 17gb in size as this will allow me to have several  stores and still  have 120% free space afterwards. This will also allow a recovery window within my SLA instead of trying to recover 68 gb of data

If I create a second storage group on same server, do I lose single instance then?

Is there a good whitepaper I just have not found?
Thanks for any answers you may share!
Post #: 1
RE: Single instance question? - 14.Feb.2006 3:03:33 PM   
Henrik Walther

There will be one instance of the message per mailbox store, which means that if we have 20 users in store 1 - you have 1 instance of the message with pointers to it from those 20 MBs.

If you move 10 users to store 2 - you have 1 instance of the message on each store, with pointers from the 10 MBs to each instance.

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to hddcrasher)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Single instance question? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter