• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline defrag

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline defrag Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline defrag - 28.Feb.2006 2:30:23 PM   
faisy76

i am running exch 2k3 with sp2 on win2k3 sp1.
the edb file size is arround 16 gb but the mail boxes which i calculate is not more then 8 gb.
i have done full backup twice and online defragmentation as well as offline defragmentaion but no solution.
only offline defrag lower the size to 15 gb but still to much. can some body has the solution.
faisal
Post #: 1
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 28.Feb.2006 3:51:49 PM   
Henrik Walther

How much available whitespace does the database contain (look for Event ID 1221 in the application log)?

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to faisy76)
Post #: 2
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 6.Mar.2006 1:13:31 PM   
faisy76

sorry for delay reply.
information store has 14.6 g.b of free space.
faisal

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 3
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 7.Mar.2006 5:36:20 PM   
Doorslam

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the database size besides doing an offline defrag? 

Also, is the offline defrag risky/worth doing?

Thanks

(in reply to faisy76)
Post #: 4
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 7.Mar.2006 7:04:09 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

Are you sure about 14,6 Gb available space - you wrote in your first post that there are 8Gb in user mailboxes??

When you in ESM display mailbox sizes you can add a column that displays how much space the deleted items (the items awaiting deleted items retention period) occupies.

Regards

Leif Pedersen
Exchange MVP

(in reply to faisy76)
Post #: 5
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 7.Mar.2006 7:05:40 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

The only thing that can reduce the database size is an offline defragmentation.

Unless you can regain several GB of space I would normally not recommend to run this.

Regards

Leif Pedersen
Exchange MVP

(in reply to Doorslam)
Post #: 6
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 8.Mar.2006 7:14:47 PM   
Doorslam

rytmehans, why do you recommend not running the offline defrag?  just out of curiousity

(in reply to rytmehans)
Post #: 7
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 8.Mar.2006 7:27:48 PM   
consultOz

The reason why he is telling you not to use Eseutil or ISINTEG, if you don't need it, if you don't have white space, you should not run these tools against your database, they are serious tools can or may cause damage if they are not used properly, or visely
As you know  as an good exchange Admin already , the golden RULE is keep it simple.
You will have to take the databases offline, in order to run both utilities, now you are talking about mail interruption, no matter what.
Anytime any Exchange admin touches the database risk always involves so MUST have a valid backup of your databases and your log files and make sure they are good, before you do anything.

As you see it is a serious steps and risk involved. Of course you don't want to go trough all these if you will not gain any space back on your database, or another saying if you don't have a white space, you will not need to run these utilities.

That's is why Leif Pedersen is telling you, don't use it if you don't need it, keep it simple
Cheers
Oz

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

Regards,
Oz Casey Dedeal
MVP (Exchange)
MCITP (EMA),MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA),
MCSE 2003 M+ S+, MCDST
Security+, Project+ ,Server+
http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog)
http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)

(in reply to Doorslam)
Post #: 8
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 11.Mar.2006 6:58:08 AM   
faisy76

i have already set the retention period for deleted items to zero days.
before we have 8 G.B of mail boxes but we have reduce the mail boxes to 2 G.B.
faisal

(in reply to consultOz)
Post #: 9
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 13.Mar.2006 3:54:44 PM   
Luuk

Moving the mailboxes to a new store might help. Mailboxes will be defragged. Offcourse the new store will defrag too. So this is an action you should do once a while...

(in reply to faisy76)
Post #: 10
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 13.Mar.2006 10:59:39 PM   
Mamu

Yes,Move the mailboxes to a different store and get rid of this store.this is a prieti safe work around.
Are you sure your online defrags are completing?

(in reply to Luuk)
Post #: 11
RE: priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline de... - 14.Mar.2006 6:50:35 AM   
faisy76

yes i am sure and i have done an offline defrag also.
but the size remains the same.
thanks
faisal

(in reply to faisy76)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> priv1.edb file size does reduce after an offline defrag Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter