• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Two Sites and Two Domains --HELP!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Two Sites and Two Domains --HELP! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two Sites and Two Domains --HELP! - 28.Feb.2006 11:30:14 PM   
giltender

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so im crossing my fingers I get a response.  This is kind of a mix between an exchange and SBS/ Server Issue.  I am working for a company who asked me to set up a domain name and sbs 2003 (w/exchange) for them.  The company has 6 users in Calgary.  Everything was cool. Said company then started a second company and purchased a second domain name.  The second company has 5 users in Edmonton.  I had the 6 users in Calgary all on the SBS 2003 exchange so as a temperary solution I hooked up the 5 Edmonton users to pop3 accounts on the second domain name.  Now, 4 of the 6 users in Calgary want to use the Edmonton company email domain name.  I know I can host two email domains on exchange 2003, but I will have to re-direct the MX record for the Edmonton domain to the Calgary sbs server.  The Edmonton users will no longer get thier pop3 email so they will have to be hooked up to the exchange server.  I know all about OWA but I would like them to be able to use local clients.  I am a little new at this but I think these are my options.

1. VPN the Edmonton users into the SBS server so they get their exchange mail.

2. Set up a Server 2003 in edmonton and somehow connect the two VPN possibly?(not to sure how)

3. Find a better way for the remote clients to get their mail from the exchange server. RPC HTTP possibly? (I have no idea what it does)

Anyways,  I am confused as to how to hook up remote clients to an exchange server.  Can an exchange server "act" like a pop3 server? Is that the function of RCP HTTP?  What setup and solution would you recomend in the above situation?  Thanks so much for your help.

Mike 
Post #: 1
RE: Two Sites and Two Domains --HELP! - 1.Mar.2006 5:52:25 PM   
samjaffer

Hi giltender,

I think your best bet might be either the VPN option or the RPC/HTTP. You can setup Exchange as Pop3 server but that means you will have to expose your Exchange server to the outside world. Also, keep in mind that SBS can only be setup as Single Site Single Server. You can not add another Exchange server to an SBS Exchange server.

If you have a Blackberry Enterprise server then you will have issues with RPC/HTTP. That narrows it down to the VPN solution. Even for RPC/HTTP you will have to open 3-4 ports for it work properly.

I would suggest that you use VPN and setup their Outlook 2003 clients to be on Cached Exchange mode. This will keep the bandwidth usage low and will provide high availability to remote users.

Hope this helps.

Sam Jaffer.

(in reply to giltender)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Two Sites and Two Domains --HELP! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter