• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Help with choosing between PER-SEAT / PER-SERVER

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Help with choosing between PER-SEAT / PER-SERVER Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with choosing between PER-SEAT / PER-SERVER - 4.Mar.2006 5:23:56 AM   
Ex72

Hello there,

I am running into couple of stumbling blocks when I was trying to prepare the hardware configuration so that I can start the SBS 2003 installation.  This is actually a trial run and so the server is not in production mode yet.  I actually did gone through the OS installation but I am not sure which CD I am suppose to use for the SBS server installation.   If you would not mind, would you be able to point to me to the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

I received a package with 5 CDs from Dell for the Small Business Server 2003.
 Here is what's included in the CD pack:
1.  MS Windows Small business Server 2003 Stand Edition Disc 1  ((product key was found at the back of the CD holder)
2.  MS Windows Small business Server 2003 Stand Edition Disc 2
3.  MS Windows Small business Server 2003 Stand Edition Disc 3
4.  MS Windows Small business Server 2003 Stand Edition (Outlook 2003) (product key was found at the back of the CD holder_
5.  MS Windows Small business Server 2003 Stand Edition (Entourage 2004 for MAC)

I have also purchased from Dell 15 additional CAL beside the 5 CAL that came with SBS server.  I am not sure in what form does the additional licences come in as or maybe they are encoded in the CDs that were ship to me from Dell.

When I was going through Dell hardware configuration and after configuring the RAID 5, I was asked to choose which OS to install.  SBS 2003 was not an OPTION to install on PowerEdge 2850 server and so the Dell technician had to walk me thru to downloading a RAID driver.  After installing the drivers for the RAID controller from the system configuration interface, it allows me to continue with the path to install SBS OS.  But before I was able to install the OS, I was asked to input information such as the following:
1.  The company name
2.  Server name, DNS, WINS (with fields to enter in the IP address)
3.  DHCP or STATIC IP (with fields to enter IPs)
4.  Username (beside "administrator" or guest and the account has to have domain admin right)
5.  Account Password
6.  Licence (PER-SEAT or PER SERVER)

Which option do I select for the licensing part?  I want the end users to be able to log in more than 2 computers for example and so which kind of licence would I need.  We have bought 15 additional CALs from Dell along with the SBS software and so there are more than enough CALs for our usage.

Thanks,

Helen
Post #: 1
RE: Help with choosing between PER-SEAT / PER-SERVER - 19.May2006 12:30:12 PM   
hassana

Hi Helen,

Check following websites
-------------------------------
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx

http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=98829&seqNum=4

In per server mode, you are licensed for a certain number of concurrent connections to the server. If you have 50 licenses, 50 clients can connect to the server. Per server mode is the best choice when you have a small network consisting of only one domain (and one domain controller). It also works best for networks when only part of your client base is connected to the server at any one time. For example, if you run different shifts at your company, you need only a per server license that covers the number of users connected to the server at any one time (not your entire employee population).
In per seat mode, you purchase a license for each network user on the network. Each of these users can connect to any and all the servers on the network. As far as large networks go, per seat mode is probably the best licensing strategy, especially if network resources are spread across a number of Windows Server 2003 servers.
You must select your licensing mode during Windows Server 2003 installation. So, it is important to consider licensing in terms of network growth and usage.
However, if you select to use the per server licensing and then determine that it would make more sense to change to per seat licensing, you have one opportunity to switch licensing modes. This switch is done using the Licensing snap-in.
------------------------------
We have one SBS 2003 Dell PowerEdge server and is running on Per Server mode.
You can alway change to Per Seat later...but I don't think you can change from Per Seat to Per Server.

Good Luck

Hassan

(in reply to Ex72)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Help with choosing between PER-SEAT / PER-SERVER Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter