• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving Exch2k to a new box

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Moving Exch2k to a new box Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving Exch2k to a new box - 6.Mar.2006 4:29:12 PM   
ras2a

Our current (and only) Exch 2000 server install currently resides on our only Domain Controller. I want to completely remove this and transfer it to a brand new server that we have just purchased.  The new server will simply be a member server (Not a DC), but still be in the same domain..therefore, we don't need to retain the DNS/IP of the old server. In short, new machine (member server), new name, new IP, same domain.

Is there a definitive step-by-step guide on how to do this?  I've read several articles, but some of them seem to have conflicting information.  I would like the easiest, fastest and most reliable method.

We only operate a small exchange organisation with around 35 mailboxes in total, so I don't anticipate this taking too long.  Certain things that concern me, are things such as replication and how long to leave the old server running before we uninstall. Also, I read something about transfer of Global catalog server?

Many thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Much appreciated.

ras2a

< Message edited by ras2a -- 6.Mar.2006 4:34:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Moving Exch2k to a new box - 6.May2006 4:30:44 PM   
pjhutch

Yes, its possible.

1. Install Exchange to new server and configure mailbox store(s).
2. Use AD Users and Computers, Exchange Tasks, Move mailbox to move mailboxes from one server to another
3. Migrate public folders and other system folders and any connectors etc
4. Update DNS eg MX recorrd etc
5. Decommission Exchange on original server.

(in reply to ras2a)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Moving Exch2k to a new box Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter