• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 - 27.Mar.2006 7:28:17 PM   
JLH

Hello,

What would be the best way to upgrade to Ex2003?

Add hardware to the old server, move the mailstore off, offline defrag, move the data back and install Ex2003

or

buy new server, run them concurrently and migrate mailboxes?

Also, would it be possible to move users mailbox data to .PST files, upgrade the current server to Ex2003, create a blank store, and import the .PST's into the new store?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Post #: 1
RE: Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 - 27.Mar.2006 8:02:33 PM   
mark@mvps.org

From what version? You can't upgrade 5.5 to 2003 so you have no choice but to go via alternate hardware, even if that means migrating from your 5.5 box to something temporary and then flattening it.
If you want to go from 2000 to 2003 then you can do an in-place upgrade or a swing to new hardware. There is no "best" way as it all depends on your business circumstances etc.
Can your server take Exchange 2003? Have you got the right RAID configuration, memory, network capabilities etc? Do you want to retain the old bos in an FE/BE environment?
The questions just roll on and on.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to JLH)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 - 27.Mar.2006 9:00:12 PM   
JLH

Thanks for your reply.

We are going through quotes to get it done. We were all set with new hardware for scenario #2 but then the mgmt team came back to try to save money and to see if it can be done differently.

The current environment is Exchange 2000 Enterprise. The mail store is about 40 GB

The current server is a dual XEON 2.4 with 3 36GB HD's (70GB avaliable) with 2GB RAM. I believe the server can run Exchange 2003, but i'm just trying to justify the reason to go with the newer server so that the mgmt team will understand.

The old box would be retained, but in a different capacity, not used in FE/BE environment.

The mgmt team thinks that money could be saved by having users archive mail themselves, install 2003 with a new store and have the users import from their PST's back into the new store. THis way doesn't sit right with me so I'm trying to justify my answers. I think the risk factor would be too great.

Thanks for your help!

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 - 27.Mar.2006 9:20:50 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Using the PST method would be a very wrong way to go.
No matter how you play it you need to introduce a server (new shiny or temporary) and do the whole mailbox move thing, or at worst a forklift of like for like, then flatten the old box and rebuild as 2003 with more disks etc.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to JLH)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 - 27.Mar.2006 9:22:45 PM   
JLH

OK, thanks a lot for your help. This will help me build my case for the new server :)

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Best Way to upgrade to Ex2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter