• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Please help me get started !

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Please help me get started ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please help me get started ! - 28.Mar.2006 9:12:25 PM   
acadnut

Hey, guys. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm new to a company and one of my primary duties is to install and administer Exchange 2003. I've purchased new hardware and installed W2k3 Server R2 on it. (Just FYI, I came from a team environment to an all-in-one role. I've never installed Exchange before)

It'll be in an environment with one local server (W2k) that's a domain controller and one server (W2k) that's accessed via VPN (Watchguard) 90 miles away, also a DC.

I'm looking for where to start and some best practices.

Thanks again.
Post #: 1
RE: Please help me get started ! - 28.Mar.2006 9:14:19 PM   
kburd CH

The company has no prior email enterprise?

(in reply to acadnut)
Post #: 2
RE: Please help me get started ! - 28.Mar.2006 9:19:25 PM   
acadnut

quote:

The company has no prior email enterprise?

None at all.

The mail is currently on a hosted service and being popped by all the clients.

(in reply to kburd CH)
Post #: 3
RE: Please help me get started ! - 29.Mar.2006 5:05:53 PM   
acadnut

Sure am looking forward to some help, guys.

(in reply to acadnut)
Post #: 4
RE: Please help me get started ! - 30.Mar.2006 1:47:40 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi,

You need to create seperate AD sites according to City Name by placing DCs of relative Cities. Then create AD replication connector.

Then simply insert Exchange 2003 CD & follow Deployment Guide which has fully-functional step-by-step help & direction given.

With Regards,
Vishal Breed (919820813222)

Remember, I am not miles away but just a mail away.

(in reply to acadnut)
Post #: 5
RE: Please help me get started ! - 30.Mar.2006 3:52:32 PM   
acadnut

quote:

You need to create seperate AD sites according to City Name by placing DCs of relative Cities. Then create AD replication connector.

Thanks for the reply ....

Not sure I understand the statement you quoted above. Could you please elaborate ?

(in reply to vishal_breed)
Post #: 6
RE: Please help me get started ! - 30.Mar.2006 4:07:11 PM   
funkyd

quote:

ORIGINAL: acadnut

quote:

Thanks for the reply ....

Not sure I understand the statement you quoted above. Could you please elaborate ?

Then don't do ANYTHING. Seriously, mess this up and you will be in seriously deep doggy mess. Get someone in who does. Why not have a word with your old colleagues and see if one of them can help?

Before anythign else, make sure you can backup and restore the DC at the main site. If it's the only one then you really don't want to screw it up. Backup Ad using NT backup and restore to another machine not connected to the the network, attach a workstation and see if it works.

You then want to start with getting W2K installed and promoted as a DC with replication to the main site. Do not waste time with Exchange until this is working.
Once working, install Exchange as a new site under the same organisation and take it from there.

If you're still lost and can't get any help, sign-up for the MS virtual labs (free) and take a look - at least you can't do any harm.

Getting AD working between sites is the starting point, make sure you WAN / VPN is ok, replication works etc etc.

Take lots of notes (detailed so anyone could understand them) and take things slowly, checking as you go.

I can't honestly recommend going it alone but sometimes there is no choice - in such cases you have to do everything you can to keep good records, backup, make sure you can restore etc etc

Good luck!

(in reply to acadnut)
Post #: 7
RE: Please help me get started ! - 30.Mar.2006 4:31:07 PM   
acadnut

Whoa.

W2K is already installed on the other servers. AD seems to be working fine.

There is no "main" site. I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure we're on the same page, funkyd.

I'll stop over at the virtual labs, though. Thanks for that.

(in reply to funkyd)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Please help me get started ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter