• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP - 30.Mar.2006 12:34:06 PM   
NineLives

Good Morning All..
Hope someone can help with my confused state of mind :(  I'm kind of a newbie to exchange and DNS so please bare with me and dont laugh.. lol

I'll try and make it short and simple..

SETUP:  Windows Server 2003   Exchange 2003

I dont know how to make sure we receive incoming mail.  Our internal mail is working all ok and our external mail is downloaded via POP3 from our domain.com/web server/ISP.  I want to now see if I can get that mail direct to our mail server.

Now our domin.com has its own MX RECORD that all mail filters to at our ISP.  I know I have to change this so all mail will come to our server in the office..

Problem:  DNS is set up on our Windows 2003 server but I think I have made a very big mistake.  When setting up Exchange and DNS (about a year ago) it asked what I want as our domain name.  I put any old thing in thinking I can change it later..  Its not a proper domain name (FQDN).. Its called YTS.LOCAL!!!  Now I dont think I can setup an MX Record on our DNS?  Is that correct?  We do hold another domain name that is doing nothing at the moment..  Can I use this to point to our server for incoming mail?

Ohhhh I am sooo confused..  HELP!!!!

Thanks in advace..

Seiko (UK)
Post #: 1
RE: EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP - 30.Mar.2006 3:13:35 PM   
ACL

You haven't made such a huge mistake as the Windows DNS you set up is seperate from the external one. You can call then different things with no problem. You need to get your domain registered (if it isn't already) and then set up MX records on the DNS servers on the internet and then all mail inteded for that domain will be routed to your domain. Obviously the IP address you register the MX record against is the external firewall IP address and you will want to consider such things as anti-virus and spam filtering so it might be better to consider using a third party service such as Messaglabs.

(in reply to NineLives)
Post #: 2
RE: EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP - 30.Mar.2006 5:43:02 PM   
dlodato

quote:

ORIGINAL: ACL

You haven't made such a huge mistake as the Windows DNS you set up is seperate from the external one. You can call then different things with no problem. You need to get your domain registered (if it isn't already) and then set up MX records on the DNS servers on the internet and then all mail inteded for that domain will be routed to your domain. Obviously the IP address you register the MX record against is the external firewall IP address and you will want to consider such things as anti-virus and spam filtering so it might be better to consider using a third party service such as Messaglabs.

You will also need to set up port forwarding on your firewall to point to your exchange server.

(in reply to ACL)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> EXCHANGE AND DNS - i'm confused?? HELP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter