• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installs sets a dead server!!!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installs sets a dead server!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installs sets a dead server!!! - 8.Apr.2006 7:51:51 PM   
microtcpip

I have a Windows2003 domain with two DC. One of them died before I had the chance to run dcpromo again, so when it was rebuilt, I just changed its name. With that problem resolved, I have been trying to install exchange 2003 on this box. Installs fine but when I open the manager, the servers on its list is the old name of the rebuilt box! Estrange how it decided on that name. I had already deleted any reference of the old name in DNS!

I removed exchange, installed it again and still the same result! I am totally out of ideas.

No sure if it makes any difference, the exchange install is SP2

HELP!!!

Steve,

Ps. A bit about myself. My last work with Exchange was 6 years ago on Windows2000 platform and Exchange2000 so I am a bit rusty with this.
Post #: 1
RE: Installs sets a dead server!!! - 8.Apr.2006 10:00:01 PM   
de.blackman

Before you reinstalled the DC, did you have exchange installed anywhere? also did you delete the computer account for the DC?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to microtcpip)
Post #: 2
RE: Installs sets a dead server!!! - 8.Apr.2006 10:16:25 PM   
microtcpip

Thanks for replying!

Exchange was on the box but I am not sure about it's configuration since it came loaded from dell... so I did not had the chance to opened and checked it out.

I deleted all records of the old name in DNS... is there anywhere else I should look into? and if Exchange was in fact installed originally, where do I have to go to remove (change) the information regarding the name of the exchange server....?

Many thanks,

steve

Before you reinstalled the DC, did you have exchange installed anywhere? also did you delete the computer account for the DC?

(in reply to microtcpip)
Post #: 3
RE: Installs sets a dead server!!! - 8.Apr.2006 10:30:22 PM   
microtcpip

I just check in Active Directory Users and computers and found the old name of the server in the computers folder. I deleted it from there. In the user groups there are two groups: one for Exchange Domain servers and Exchange Enterprise Servers. I did NOT deleted those accounts...

(in reply to microtcpip)
Post #: 4
RE: Installs sets a dead server!!! - 9.Apr.2006 11:40:39 PM   
microtcpip

Lastly, I used Ntdsutil and searched for the old name just in case and nothing. I just install exchange again and there it goes again installing the mail boxes in the gostly name.... I even check the registry and deleted all instances of the old name.

Can anyone help me so I can install Exchange in the correct server!

Thanks

(in reply to microtcpip)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installs sets a dead server!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter